Why become a member? ×

SWEET MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND PURE!

Bigwan

Received myself a Bongo 5HH in the post this morning from our very own Dougal. Had it out to band practice tonight.

WHAT A BASS!!!

Preamp flat, pickup pan pot centred - Best sounding bass right off the bat that I've ever heard. Fat, punchy, buttery. Haven't had a chance to play much with the preamp yet but I think things can only get better!

Also the best sounding B string I've heard in many a year. And no noise/hum whatsoever, no matter where I stand in relation to my amp. Fantastic!

Only misgivings I have so far are over the string spacing which is a wee bit tight for me, but for this sound I can get over that.

Having owned quite a few different basses in my time I can say the following:

1). If you yearn for a Wal (been there, done that), but can't stump up the cash - this is the bass for you.
2). If you want a fatter stingray tone - this is the bass for you.

I LOVE IT!!! EVERYONE SHOULD TRY ONE RIGHT NOW!

Hi Bigwan!

You know, when the Bongo was first unveiled, I thought it was one of the worst looking basses ever - however, being a good mate of Andy at Strings and Things meant that I got chance to spend some time with one and after that, my views changed completely - a superb bass and again, one on my list of wantees! I've also grown to like the shape - very comfortable to play.

Great days!

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='260455' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:16 PM']You know, when the Bongo was first unveiled, I thought it was one of the worst looking basses ever
Nick[/quote] - it is!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='260466' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:28 PM']hehe!

Like I say, it has grown on me!

Unlike the Fiat Multipla....![/quote]

My jazz band played at the UK launch of the Fiat Multipla at Fiat UK hq in Slough. And yes, it was ugly even then!

BTW, I love the look of the Bongo! Especially in that chrome orange. Yum!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='260514' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:38 AM']Lets hope that Fiat don't start designing basses eh readers?

..the Maracas bass?

Rich - did you know that we are today's top posters?!!!

I enjoy playing in front of a mirror - good to keep an eye on the technique you know!![/quote]

MB1. :)
"With or without a Bass?"

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='260468' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:32 PM']BTW, I love the look of the Bongo! Especially in that chrome orange. Yum![/quote]
Desert gold :huh: and they're discontinuing it :)

I tried a bongo the other day... i liked it, very comfortable, very playable, VERY nice neck, pretty good sound, though i found the preamp a little overwhelming and i didn't really think it had the stingray growl that i like...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='260468' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:32 PM']My jazz band played at the UK launch of the Fiat Multipla at Fiat UK hq in Slough. And yes, it was ugly even then!

BTW, I love the look of the Bongo! Especially in that chrome orange. Yum![/quote]

Me too. I used to think they were hideous, but I really like them in Desert Gold (quick edit after reading post above!) .

Edited by 4000

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='260514' date='Aug 12 2008, 12:38 AM']Lets hope that Fiat don't start designing basses eh readers?

..the Maracas bass?

Rich - did you know that we are today's top posters?!!!

I enjoy playing in front of a mirror - good to keep an eye on the technique you know!![/quote]

Oh yes, Nick - The mirror makes sure you have the correct LH technique - If you can see the tip of your thumb, thiiis iiis baaad!

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='260995' date='Aug 12 2008, 04:50 PM']Anything that looks as fugly as this Bongo Six had better sound fantastic. :huh: :)

Apologies to anyone who does not see it as fugly :huh:[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
That body!....Still think it looks like a Toilet Seat!.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='260915' date='Aug 12 2008, 03:40 PM']I played a 4 string H-H Bongo a few days ago, Great playing, looking and sounding bass. The only thing I don't really like about them is the painted necks.[/quote]
I rather liked it, i think they're too modern looking to get away with unpainted, though i've seen a couple and they don't look too bad... I liked how they weren't glossy either though, felt really nice.

The look is really growing on me actually. I think it's easier since mine is a subdued colour. Perhaps if it was desert orange it would be more difficult to love it!

The white pickguard on that bongo 6hs really does make it look like a loo seat though!

Budget bassist, if you wanted the stingray growl you should try the single H = that is THE BEST sounding bass I have ever tried. It's got stingray sounds, but tighter, fatter, punchier, more everythinger!

Fantastic bass.

And what is this about discontinuing desert gold? the best colour?

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='Bigwan' post='261432' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:02 AM']The look is really growing on me actually. I think it's easier since mine is a subdued colour. Perhaps if it was desert orange it would be more difficult to love it!

The white pickguard on that bongo 6hs really does make it look like a loo seat though![/quote]

The shape hasn't grown on me yet but I have heard they sound great. I would get one in white with a black or "water" colored pick guard... or dirty yellow??? :) sorry...

6string Stealth Bongo is one of my dreams.

It is one of the ugliest looking basses around, along with most Warwicks (and I like Warwicks) but the sound and playing is phenomenal.

If I didn't have a Warwick, I'd be getting that Bongo. Great stuff.