Why become a member? ×

Squier vintage modified 70's or Fender Jazz?

woodywyatt

I’ve recently purchased a Squier vintage modified 70's as a back up bass, my main bass is a Rickenbacker 4003.
I have been so surprised with how good the Squier VM 70's plays and sounds I’m now even considering selling on the Ric and buying an original Fender
However, would it be worth the spend? Apart from wood quality is there really that much difference?
If so, which model would sound like (and hopefully better) than the Squier vintage modified 70’s? Theres so many Fender Jazz models no idea where to start! Quite like the look of the Geddy Lee version.
Any help appreciated

Edited by woodywyatt

You would have to try it - I recently tried the PBass in american / mexican and squier CV and walked out with the CV. I believe the american almost certainly has better hardware and pickups, but I can buy those separately.

So best idea is get yourself to a shop and see what works for you.

Another one here to say go out and try some. Quality varies and some basses will speak to you and others won't, whether they're USA, Mex or Squier. I've always had Squiers sounding and playing nice to me but USA Fenders have been hit (but what a hit) or miss (which can be a very disappointing miss).

Keep the Rick, Keep the VMJ, read this thread!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/252421-ditching-fender-for-squier/

Having had a bunch of excellent Squiers over the years, I think you'd be paying for the name & not a lot else. And these days Fender's a franchise, not a manufacturer.

Jon.