Why become a member? ×

My Bass Projects

scojack

Thanks Jabba aaccchhhtt that's what i thought !! Would be a no brainer if they would sit flush.
Still pondering at the moment though, thanks for the offer of a template (i might take you up on that yet ;) ).

I was looking at doing a string through for B&E strings and drilling the oles a good half inch BEHIND my usual bridge arrangement....might look a bit odd though so the warwick solution was another (neater) solution. I'll have a look around and see if there's any similar 5 string bridges that will sit flush although i doubt they will have the quality of the Warwick ones that u fellows use.

Ian

Edited by scojack

Hi, Ian

As Jabba says, you do need to router them in - the result is, however, a very satisfying security of both the bridge and the tailstock. It is, compared with the things I've seen you do to perfection, a very straightforward rout - simple MDF template would make it worry-free.

The bridge actually comes in two parts to give a secure base to the full adjustability. While you could dispense with the bottom bit (and just adjust with the saddles) it still sits a bit high for some configurations.

No option, however, for the tailstock to get the break angle right but, as I say, an easy route with just a simple 'V' template and a cutter the width of the block. The bridge block rout can be done just using straight-edge guides and then tidying up the corners with a chisel or dremel.

Edited by Andyjr1515

• 2 weeks later...

So onwards ...
Slimmed down the headstock , it was a bit paddley.
Made a start on carving the neck, slim profile...

Taking the headstock quite far down the neck, i can retain a bit more wood..

Handy ref too ......it starts at 1st fret, (no lines on the fb) ;)

Made a neck pocket template ...
With the neck itself as a former i use MDF and epoxy resin to make an exact copy.

Ian

Edited by scojack

Weekend Update,
Got the Neck Pocket routed and holes drilled...

Finished the headstock/neck carve, it needed centered a bit more. Not a 'volute' as such more a thumb stop at
the first fret position. It also adds extra wood over the trussrod end which is not a bad thing on such a slim profile neck.

Another day with the dreaded router and that's it done :).

Ian

Edited by scojack

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a bit of a struggle trying to finish off the lacquer at this time of year, normally i wouldn't even bother but i really wanted this finished.
There's still a bit of buffing to do but i thought i'd grab the camera while it was still daylight..

Just the bridge(s) to put on and a brass nut to do ...

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Strings on and finished !
Plays really well (I would say that though) and the sound from the MM pup is thunderous :) its a 2 coil Alnico job and im really impressed.
Thought i would miss the second pickup but not a bit of it, there's plenty of adjustment from the controls for my taste. Its a G&B preamp with B/M/T,,simple.
(better photos)

Sweet :)

IanM

Edited by scojack