Why become a member? ×

Preamp/Drive pedals B7K Vs BDDI

CalDeep

Hi guys,

Im looking into kind of preamp-y drive pedals. Im after something which will just give a really creamy valve drive sound. Im torn between the Darkglass B7K and the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. B7K on sound itself but Bass driver for its legendary status. Anyone got any opinions on this? Or any other pedal suggestions. Any input much appreciated!

Cheers
Cal

Defo agree with rhythmbug, for your purposes I think the Sansamp VT Bass would be a lot more appropriate. The B3K and BDDI have a similar gnarly, quite scooped character to the grind sound. The Darkglass Vintage is popular around here as a drive pedal (I hate it personally), but I'm not sure how well the Deluxe version fares as a preamp pedal.

Have a listen to the VT Bass demos on YouTube, obviously it does a pretty good imitation of Ampeg Flat-tops and SVTs which is about as good as you can get for a creamy valve drive sound IMO! Plus it's a LOT cheaper than a DG Vintage Deluxe...

This is a pretty good start: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKxMaWSKuU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKxMaWSKuU[/url]

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1420809061' post='2653690']
I prefer the Tech 21 Bass VT over the BDDI, more mid control and sounds more warm and natural. To my ears the BDDI was a bit clanky and metallic. Just my 2p
[/quote]

Yup. I have a B7K and the VT Bass DI and the latter would be far more suited to you Cal from what you are saying. However, if you fancy a bit of Darkglass thunder then the VMT Deluxe would be an ace choice too. You get what you pay for :)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1420910863' post='2654946']
Defo agree with rhythmbug, for your purposes I think the Sansamp VT Bass would be a lot more appropriate. The B3K and BDDI have a similar gnarly, quite scooped character to the grind sound. The Darkglass Vintage is popular around here as a drive pedal (I hate it personally), but I'm not sure how well the Deluxe version fares as a preamp pedal.
[/quote]

The EQ does the world of good to the VMT sound. I hated the original VMT too, however the EQ really brings it to life, very interactive with the Era control. I sold it as I just prefer the B3K/B7K voicing, so I have one of each of those instead! ;)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1420911474' post='2654965']
I have a B7K and the VT Bass DI and the latter would be far more suited to you Cal from what you are saying. However, if you fancy a bit of Darkglass thunder then the VMT Deluxe would be an ace choice too. You get what you pay for :)
[/quote]
Nice - looking to get these two at some point (when I have the money!). I'm planning on using the vt di for amp emulation/ a slightly warm sound, then the b7k for all-out drive. How do you use them?

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1420934680' post='2655349']
Nice - looking to get these two at some point (when I have the money!). I'm planning on using the vt di for amp emulation/ a slightly warm sound, then the b7k for all-out drive. How do you use them?
[/quote]

Almost like that :) I use the VT Bass DI as an almost always-on Ampeg sim and a tiny weenie bit of grind, keeping the drive at about 9o'clock. I use the B7K after this for a heavier drive sound. I run the B3K in-between them at a high gain setting for a heavy, aggressive distortion. Nothing quite like stacking Darkglass Pedals :D

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1420809061' post='2653690']
I prefer the Tech 21 Bass VT over the BDDI, more mid control and sounds more warm and natural. To my ears the BDDI was a bit clanky and metallic. Just my 2p
[/quote]

Same here. The VT DI is a great pedal, our producer, who is Ampeg nuts couldn`t stop raving about it when he heard mine.

I've tried VMT and B3k and tech21 sansamp bd.

Of the three id buy the programmable sansamp bass driver.

The flexibility of saving settings was a massive advantage for me.

Each person will have an opinion on this, but whilst Im currently using a behringer bd121 to see how it fares I'd recommend the tech 21 over darkglass if I was shopping again.