Why become a member? ×

Fender squire volume knob

Lazybirdpete

I've just taken delivery of a Fender Squire VM modified 70s NT from Thomann. It plays great but one of the volume knobs isn't sitting square. I've tried swapping them over and the problem remains so the spindle is bent or set in at an angle. Obviously this is for Thomann to sort out but just thought I'd enquire to see if this is something that happens a lot and if there's an easy remedy so I can avoid the faff of sending it back.

cheers

Pete

Depends how far off kilter it is; I bought an old bass off eBay and one pot had a similar issue but it was only a little off true and I bent the spindle back vertical - the pot itself worked fine which I assume is the case with yours too? Anyway, since yours is new and just in case you make things worse you're probably better telling Thomann - they might suggest a discount if you accept the instrument as is or send it back and wait for a replacement.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1420792373' post='2653380']
Is the knob definitely set square in the hole? Might be worth taking it out and making sure it's all smooth around the area - a 5 minute job.
[/quote]

yes I did think about that but then thought I might mash up one of the screws or scratch the plate and if that wasn't the problem I'd then have a hard time convincing Thomann to do an exchange. I did pop into my local guitar and bass shop who said they've seen it quite often, the result of a knock in transit. Anyway it's gone back now.

Ah, that's a shame! :(

Those Squier VM basses are fab, honestly
Try getting one second-hand on here, or a local shop

Whenever I sell something, I'm always worried about what might happen in the post....
especially as a bass I bought a few years back was badly mishandled, and sustained slight damage

Of course, both these basses may have been sent out faulty, from the Squier factory
But I find it hard to swallow, that you had 2 duff ones in a row
....maybe Thomann actually buy "seconds"? - to keep costs down? Hmmm

EDIT: I meant to add, good luck with buying your next bass

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Lazybirdpete' timestamp='1421760641' post='2664617']
No I'm giving up with Thomann, getting a refund. They seem to have all the dodgy Squier stock! Yes they ship from Germany. I might go to a local shop instead but this experience has put me off F/S so I'm having a rethink.
[/quote]

Would it be worth opening it up and seeing if its just a lose wire? I know you shouldn't have to, and principles being what they are i can understand your feelings, but if its an easy fix then it saves the hassle of getting refund and going off to the shops.

Squier & other 'budget' instruments tend to have crappy cheapo pots that eventually go scratchy & sockets that lose their spring so I always swap them out for CTS & switchcraft* so they're less likely to fail during or just before a gig. A bent shaft on the original pot of a squier wouldn't worry me as it won't be staying on the bass for long.

* except my squier VM SS jag bass which has all EMG gubbins now.

I've got two Squiers, one bought sight unseen from a UK retailer which has stores and an online presence and the other from another BCer on here - no problems with either of them. Bought a Vintage V4 P bass online that was horrible with numerous faults and that got sent back immediately for a full refund. YMMV.

[quote name='Lazybirdpete' timestamp='1421847809' post='2665677']
Finally bought a VM that works, from my local guitar shop Mansons: only £12 more than Thomann and that includes a free 6 month set up!
[/quote]

There's a moral there somewhere...