Why become a member? ×

Heating A Small Room ...

ZenBasses

Hey

Well with the addition of 3 Hercules wall hangers it would be as well to move my basses from my living room to the 'mans' room.

I keep my basses in the living room as it stays at around 16-20 degrees even without the heating on.

Th small bedroom we have has no radiator so I've been loathed the store them in there. However i am getting tetchy as there has been a few unwanted people hanging around the area and well the basses aren't that well hidden. I have 3 alarms..2 being my dogs but temptation and all.

Anyway the room is small around 5f x 8ft.

Im wanting a cheap to buy and run heater just to keep the room warm but not sub tropical

I was thinking this would be an ideal solutions

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0045JI3IS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1420627169&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41SXr6pgqlL&ref=plSrch[/url]

Anyone got the same issue.would love to plumb a new radiator in there but the cost is a bit too much at this point.

Seems like a pointless post I know.

Thanks

Ben

Edited by ZenBasses

Something like this might do.... [url="http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/home-appliances/heating/heaters/status-ofh7-700w1pkb-oil-filled-radiator-10088272-pdt.html"]http://www.currys.co...088272-pdt.html[/url] at £20.

We have similar (1.5kW) in the conservatory and its very good.

Edited by ColinB

[sub]What about those frost protection radiators? Around 150 watts, thermo controlled and about £15[/sub]

[sub][url="http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/de_vielle_500w_electric_fire_frost_watcher_heater_327312.html?CAWELAID=120131830000003516&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120131830000015611&cadevice=c&gclid=COCSzJqEgsMCFUbMtAodDD0Aqg"]http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/de_vielle_500w_electric_fire_frost_watcher_heater_327312.html?CAWELAID=120131830000003516&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120131830000015611&cadevice=c&gclid=COCSzJqEgsMCFUbMtAodDD0Aqg[/url][/sub]

[sub][url="http://www.qvsdirect.com/winterheat-ip44-tubular-heater-915mm-135w?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CI-CkLGEgsMCFeLItAodPBMALw"]http://www.qvsdirect.com/winterheat-ip44-tubular-heater-915mm-135w?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CI-CkLGEgsMCFeLItAodPBMALw[/url][/sub]

Depends how old and drafty the room is, and what temperature you want to maintain. If you have an old pre 70s house, a rule of thumb is 100 Watts per square metre to achieve room temperature. For a newish or well insulated house, use 50 Watts per square metre.

At 5x8 foot, this works out to 3.7 square metres, requiring about 400 Watts for an old house, or 200 for a new one. Most heaters will be far larger than this, to allow the soace to heat up in a reasonable time from cold.

Cold rooms are generally fine for storing guitars/basses. You don't want to leave them in the garage, attic or anywhere else where it gets properly cold in winter... but an unheated internal room of a house should be fine.

I kept mine in an unheated spare room at our old address and never had any problems.

...unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick and you're concerned about the temperature because you want to practice in the room and don't want to be cold yourself. In which case yeah, buy a heater! :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I might be under some sort of illusion but I always thought a stone cold room isn't good for keeping equipment in..maybe inside is that damp is unlikely. Humidity in the house is fine at around 55-60% so about what it should be.

But yes I would be making musical drones in that room...just got round to putting in a desk (or an IKEA worktop as it is lol)...

I measured it today and was surprised to find its 5.2m2..bigger than i thought. Its had a new carpet with good underlay. There are the odd whistles from the windows but i wouldn't say it was drafty. The house is circa 1968.

The unsavoury folk are around the area..My living room is at the back of the house and although there's a conservatory attached where the dogs live it just makes me feel uneasy that my basses could be seen if anyone cared to have a peak

Cheap running is a goodbl point.I have seen various reviews on small oil filled radiators. Some good and some bad. Its good to hear from you guys that they are generally okay. Pay day tommorow. I shall be heater shopping.

All I know is I don't want a one of those tiny bloody convection heater..just wanting it to click on and off as needed without the noise of a cheap fan making a racket.

:)

Edited by ZenBasses

I can assure you for the months your kit spent getting from the factory to your climate controlled room, know one cared a jot what the temperature was. Humidity can cause problems, not the very small temperature range your room will go through being unheated.

I would spend your money on some snake oil and rub on to the fret board.

Im a heating engineer by trade, infact these days I'm considerably higher up the food chain in the world of gas and wet stuff.
The little 1.5-2kw oil filled rads are superb and very cheap to run too. The better models out there have timers and thermostats on them so you should be able to leave it on auto pretty much all the time really. Some models actually look like radiators and can be wall mounted in much the same way to make it a more permanent feature if you fancy......
I look after some extremely large gas service, maintenance and installation contracts for social housing providers, i write the specifications for these contracts and I manage many nationwide companies your all likely to have heard of, I spec for the more affluent clients oil filled radiators to be provided for tenants experiencing temporary loss of heating and hot water services. Why oil filled ? Far safer and cheaper to run then fan or radiant type heaters.
The tighter clients spec electric fan heaters, and the complaints generated by tenants in regard to consumption of their whole weeks electric credit are guaranteed every time. Never once get such a call when oil filled ones are left, if anything some even ask if they can keep me instead as they think them cheaper to run then their gas fired boiler !!!
Great bit of kit for anyone to have as a back up, store it in the loft or garage for emergencies :)

Edited by Wonky2

I don't have any heating in my house at all, I suffer but my basses don't. :)

From what's been said so far, it seems like those oil filled radiators are a good move.

You might want to do something about that 'wind whistling through the window frames' thing though or you'll be heating the back garden. :)

I bought an oil filled heater from Argos few yrs back for conservatory and it has a digital controlled thermostat which basically means it has a tighter control without the usual 2 degree change in temp when it switches off to back on. Normally you wouldn't notice that if walking into a room and moving around but if sitting quietly reading a book you do start to feel the cooling period. With this heater the change in temp is max 1 degree and you don't notice any significant change.
Appreciate that's getting a bit to fine control but if you are buying its worth considering. Oil-filled by far the better elec option.
Assuming the house is all electric ?
If you already have gas heating consider putting an additional radiator in altho gonna cost you a bit more to install if using plumber. In long run it will be cheaper.

Another option is buy a huge valve power amp and just leave it switched on all the time. Enough heat from one of them :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best
Dave