Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp EQ Settings

Pow_22

[size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000]As per my other post regarding 4x10 cabs im currently having a bit of fun with a Bugera 1960 (technically a guitar head, a clone of some old Marshall 100w). It seems a great amp so far and is handling the bass well. Obviously the circuit is designed for guitar so my usual EQ settings don’t quite sound right (as much as setting EQ with your eyes can haha). Usually I have:-[/color][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Bass - 12 o'clock[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Mids - 2 o'clock[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Treble - 11 o'clock[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]This is with a P bass, flatwounds and 2x12 Ashdown cab.[/font][/color]

[font=Calibri][color=#000000]Im finding that on some runs the upper regsiters (anything above 5th fret on D string and most of G string) get a little lost in the mix. Im considering sacrificing some of the mid for a little more treble and maybe boosting the bass to beef it all up a bit:-[/color][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Bass - 2 o'clock[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Mids - 11 or 12 o'clock[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Treble 1 o'clock[/font][/color]

[font=Calibri][color=#000000]Im looking for a nice pillowy thump of a tone, lots of beef and girth but no picky treble or twang (think Fratellis - We Need Medicine LP). You think this would help?[/color][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]I play with a plectrum, using a 1976 P bass and La Bella 760FS flats.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Any EQ help always greatly appreciated[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Pow_22

Ive never really been a fan of flatwounds, so i don't know what is "normal practice". But i didnt think people who used flatwounds would play with a pick?
Kind of defeats the point doesn't it? I'm more than happy to accept i'm wrong about this BTW but if you are looking to get no "picky treble or twang", i'd suggest learning to play with fingers (if you cant already?)
If you are looking for "pillowy thump", boosting your low mids should help if you have that option

Those Labellas are def more thump than twang. Going by sound described I`d check out some D`Addario Chromes. Played with a pick they can really do the twang thing well.

But, in answer to the eq question, I wouldn`t drop mids - maybe adjust pickup height a bit, I have my pickups on my Precisions much higher on the D & G to deal with this issue.

If you download the tone stack calculator from Duncan's amps you'll find the Marshall eq circuit. It gives a graph and shows how the response changes as you adjust the controls, which work very differently to how you might imagine. This may help you understand what effect you are having by adjusting the control and help.with your sound. It doesn't of course take into consideration the response of the power amp and transformer and the speaker cab, and not forgetting the room your in. I have found with most old school valve eq's and amps that it's often more about what you take away than what you try to add. As Bill said though, close your eyes and use your ears.