Why become a member? ×

Speaker Emulator (high frequencies only)

Dood

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1420488273' post='2649977']
To totally kill off the tweeter it'd need to be set at the crossover point that's on your cab!! Some are set higher than others, as you probably already know. So your best bet is starting there with your EQ pedal and see if it still brings in the tweeter.
[/quote]

Yup, which is kinda the same as what I had been getting at looking at frequencies response curves of the speaker - however, a more granular detail would be, for example, to model the curve of a speaker that is known to have a pleasing characteristic sound when fed with a distorted signal. the Celestion Vintage 30 comes to mind, or even just an Eminence (delta?) used in Ampeg cabinets.

I do agree with you, but I guess I'm not happy with stopping there! I'm naturally curious!

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1420488673' post='2649985']
Something like a Zoom B3 might do the trick, with the combination of amp sims and EQ. The downside is that you might have to spend ages trying out all the combinations.
[/quote]

It would and probably a good idea. It is sadly bigger than the pedal in question and would negate the point of the exercise (which I guess I haven't made too clear, my bad) in that I am looking to turn a big rig sound in to a small pedal board. It's an exercise in back saving!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1420492402' post='2650044']
It would and probably a good idea. It is sadly bigger than the pedal in question and would negate the point of the exercise (which I guess I haven't made too clear, my bad) in that I am looking to turn a big rig sound in to a small pedal board. It's an exercise in back saving!
[/quote]
Pandora PX4d? Though that's still not great on a pedal board and you'd still need a loop pedal to kick in your effects.

I always loved the sound of my Marshall 4x12 guitar cab, but seeing as it's way too heavy for me nowadays I'd been half-heartedly thinking about knocking up a 1x12 that might replicate the sound (albeit with lower volumes). So I spent a lot of time looking at frequency responses of various sims (mostly because that was the only way of seeing a cabs response - hardly anybody goes to the trouble of actually measuring a cab). What I found was that most sims just bear a passing resemblance to the general shape of a 4x12's response and do naff all for the upper range character that makes these speakers so nice for guitarists. It's the digital stuff that gets you close. There's an actual measurement of a Marshall 4x12 [url="http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/frequency-response-of-a-marshall-4x12-cabinet"]here[/url] and some modelled ones at the bottom of the page [url="http://www.hexeguitar.com/diy-cabsims_e"]here[/url] - they're far closer to the sound of these speakers than all the plots above.

In short, if you'd like the tone of these sorts of speakers you'll have to use them or go the modelling route. And you'd still have to figure out the best way to leave the bass untouched. :P ;)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1420492312' post='2650042']

Yup, which is kinda the same as what I had been getting at looking at frequencies response curves of the speaker - however, a more granular detail would be, for example, to model the curve of a speaker that is known to have a pleasing characteristic sound when fed with a distorted signal. the Celestion Vintage 30 comes to mind, or even just an Eminence (delta?) used in Ampeg cabinets.

I do agree with you, but I guess I'm not happy with stopping there! I'm naturally curious!
[/quote]

In that case, you'll find most will mimic a similar curve. I found most guitar baised simulators have a dip around 1-2khz, a spike and the sharp roll off from anywhere between 3-5 kHz.

Some go further and try and encapsulate the effect of mining a cab up, so include a low mid bump to mimic the proximity effect.
If I was going to want the palmer Dis sound into the amp and cab then I would wire a jack to XLR plug cable, not too difficult to do, plus it's small and is passive.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1420455934' post='2649435']
i think the palmer and the mooer would be unsuitable as the speaker emulation rolloffs only happen on the XLR out,

so you wouldnt be able to apply them just to the suncoast, where as with something like the custom screaminator above, you could.

plus, with a custom option you can tune exactly which frequencies are cut, leaving the low end unaltered.

i say going with any sort of killer filter or EQ in the suncoast loop is your best bet, something tiny
[/quote]

The mooer di speaker emulation works on the 1/4" out too.
I've used on both outputs at different times ;)

It's already been mentioned but try and give the [url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=117"]Mark Bass Super Booste[/url]r pedal a go, it has the same 2 filters that Mark Bass amp heads have.
I have one, it's the only pedal I use live, and the Vintage loudspeaker emulator is brilliant, you can go from a bright modern to a warm traditional tone in a second and, to my ear at least, it is spot on, it cuts the right frequencies by the right amount (I'm using a TC RH450 amp into a Tecamp 2 x 12 cab with tweeter) but still leaves you with a perfectly usable tone without getting muddy or lost in the mix.

Only problem could be that I think they have been discontinued....

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1420570924' post='2650798']
It's already been mentioned but try and give the [url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=117"]Mark Bass Super Booste[/url]r pedal a go, it has the same 2 filters that Mark Bass amp heads have.
I have one, it's the only pedal I use live, and the Vintage loudspeaker emulator is brilliant, you can go from a bright modern to a warm traditional tone in a second and, to my ear at least, it is spot on, it cuts the right frequencies by the right amount (I'm using a TC RH450 amp into a Tecamp 2 x 12 cab with tweeter) but still leaves you with a perfectly usable tone without getting muddy or lost in the mix.

Only problem could be that I think they have been discontinued....
[/quote]

I was impressed with those controls on the F1 I used to own (actually I ended up owning three!!) so yes maybe one of these would work well. Thank you.

So, as I'd said above I thought I'd give the Micro DI a go and it arrived about ten minutes ago. I've done nothing but plug just my bass in and ran the pedal straight to my studio monitors. I'm actually really impressed with the clean signal coming out with the cab sim engaged! It's brilliant so far. I like the 20dB boost too as I can see running this chap as a line driver being very useful too (for boosting the output of a pedal to drive a power amplifier as an example)

I'm yet to try it with distortion and I will get back to you alter with an update.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1420536315' post='2650298']
The mooer di speaker emulation works on the 1/4" out too.
I've used on both outputs at different times ;)
[/quote]

It's a shame the 1/4" output isn't switchable between the emulated output and a straight input link. As a tweeterless cab user with a Superfuzz, I'd like to be able to have the cab emulation on the XLR out and leave the jack output untouched. Perhaps I should look at the Palmer.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I appreciate it won't be right for everyone but I have to say that although it isn't 'perfect' the Micro DI works a treat and I am happy to report that I will continue using it as my solution. There's a really nice low mid bump in the speaker sim and I have to say I think this little box may well suit bassists wanting to plug direct in to a PA as the rounding of the tone is very pleasing through my monitors with a P bass.

Cheers :) - Further testing is required but early abuse seems to suggest it will do the job I need, even if it's not strictly 'cab simulation' but more 'top end rolloff'. I'm going to try it with all manner of distortion pedals now!!!