Why become a member? ×

Not a Good NBD

kodiakblair

I'd high hopes for today. The plan was for 3 basses unveiled well it was not to be :(

A few months back FEND3R sold me all the parts for a T 40 I only had to source a body and finally on Tuesday there it arrived.
As did some parts for a Foundation build, well more a bitsa Foundation.

So I'd buggered around getting a body, would I just buy one from the States or make one. Numerous requests went out for sizes
or templates, I even scaled up a photo in the end I bought one. £45 for the timber then glue and rout or £60 and just bolt it together.

£60 won.And while on the hunt I picked up another T 40,just for research purposes you understand ;)

But customs mislaid the body :angry: Then found it :D

A trial run showed I'd lost the scratch plate screws and 7 of the 8 pickup screws :blush: Oh and the scratch plate wouldn't fit,seemed like the
switches were catching.No problem says I just open up the other T 40 for reference.

Start the day with an easy one. Adjust the Patriot neck. Aye right. it's gooched as Dave's world of fun puts it. Will need straightened and clamped
then left in a darkened room while I calm down. The Foundation still needed a SF pickup so I stuck the spare T 40 neck it had on the Patriot.
Shorter saddles screws needed for intonation.

2 Basses out of action :o

On to the T 40. FEND3R's T 40 is from 78 so I removed the scratch plate from the 79 T 40,see what could be done. It's a router job :angry: the 78 has
bigger switches and the body is a 79 or later.

So with 3 basses in bits all thoughts of gettin the router and tranny out disappeared.

I leave you with the fruits of my non-labour. What it looks like,what it's meant to look like and what I'm left with :(
[attachment=179309:Pain of Peavey (2).jpg][attachment=179310:Pain of Peavey (3).jpg][attachment=179311:Pain of Peavey (4).jpg]

The Patriot's not there, I cut the G string too short :o couldn't bring myself to photograph it.

The T 40 that's whole's bloody good though :lol:

Shops are open tomorrow so I'll get some machine screws to fit the Patriot and plenty of sets of strings
( as long as I cut the right one,had G and D mixed up)

Pie tin shielding out and a quick zip with the router will take care of the T 40,it came with those switches so it's
keeping those switches. T 40 wiring is confusing enough :)

The Patriot neck can lie a while too see if it comes around to my way of thinking. :D

This reminds me of every hot rod or modified street car I have ever worked on ( there have been a few!). Patience is the the key here kodiak, if it don't fit, put it back in the shed and have a think about it and seek some advice before you start chopping stuff up. You run the risk of having to continue modifying to to suit the modifications as you go other wise.
I know how you feel, it's frustrating as hell, but chill out, have a beer and think about it again tomorrow.
The only suction I have come to stuff like this is to only use original parts, eg if you want to build a fender to your own tastes, use withe fendrr it warmoth for your parts. It's more cost up front but easier in the long run

Oh I agree there Damonjames.

The T 40 is all original it's just Peavey changed the switches. Making the control cavity bigger isn't a problem. Chip Todd who designed them
does it all the time to make them lighter.He flips them over and routs large cavities out the back.

Like-wise with the Patriot. I'll replace the screws rather than cut them and hope the neck comes true.

The Foundation's a bitsa, I've two others and this is just parts lying around,all Peavey parts mind you.

After nothing going to plan today walking away was the best idea.
Things will look better tomorrow.

Morning Flat Eric

I PMd you but there was a problem with the photos.

[attachment=179317:T 40 wiring.jpg][attachment=179318:T 40 wiring (2).jpg]

These are the switches, much bigger than the ones on the other T 40 and bigger than the replacement ones I've seen for sale.

Looks like 87/12 or maybe 84/12 is stamped on then.

Any ideas ? Have the switches been replaced some time ?

Cheers KB

They are not the original switches - not even close!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

The correct ones/size have always been available!

Why, oh why, oh why?? :angry:

This is the plate from my "Project T-40"
Even this has a replacement switch but of the "correct size"

Just change the switches - easily found and I can help if required.

Cheers. :)

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1419672193' post='2641718']
So is that just two 6 pole switches I need ?

Will any one the right size do or do I buy these ones ?

[url="http://www.vintagegitaar.nl/vm/view/category/search/true/virtuemart_category_id/0/start/0.html?keyword=Peavey&limitstart=0&option=com_virtuemart&view=category"]http://www.vintagegi...t&view=category[/url]

Cheers :D
[/quote]

Just had an awful thought!!

I didn't see the face of the scratchplate.

Maybe the holes have beed butchered!

You may be lucky but if they have been opened out :(

Got to dash - will come back to you later.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, David,

I came across this thread and am terribly sorry about the switches - really didn't have an idea that they have been changed - you know the story of the bass. Please, tell me how much the replacement ones cost and I will refund You for that. Hope the build/assembly works out well.

Regards
Tsvetan

Tsvetan

Firstly :- [color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]Chestita Nova Godina[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]Thank for the kind offer but it's completely unnecessary. When you bought the T 40 It had already been altered, [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]there's no way you could have known.Please put this from your mind.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]The switches have been ordered and thanks to you another T 40 will come back to life.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]There will be a delay on [/size][/font][/color][color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]completing the re-build though,1st day back at work and the [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]diary is full already.If I can get a weekend off I'll do some work on it.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#878787][font=inherit][size=4]Cheers KB[/size][/font][/color]