Why become a member? ×

which courier ? USA to UK

kodiakblair

I looked through the Importing Guitars thread but it's mainly concerned with importing from
Japan and what the Duty will be when it lands here.

I've got a bass in Chicago, ebay seller never got back with shipping prices so a pal bought it on my behalf.

So can anyone recommend a courier? Fedex quote $450 and USPS $250. Kinda pricey for a $299 bass.

Parcel Monkey say £75 but have a lousy rep.

All ideas welcome.

Parcelmonkey aren't the courier so check who they are using for this.

See how much UPS will charge. I only use them now for everything gear wise I sell or buy. Tried Interparcel but they won't even quote for anything that size from the US

USPS are good but it will either fall into the hands of Parcel Farce or My Hermes once it gets to the UK. Neither of which are very good.

I've just shipped two expensive delicate packages to the US and I used Parcel Monkey. For what little part they actually played they were fine. I forget who the actual courier was but both were delivered quickly and arrived in one piece.

If I were shipping something in from the US I would have a look at the Parcel Monkey website and see if any of the big US couriers were listed in the quotes, then pick one of them, as the US portion of the journey is likely to run smoother if you use a national courier, rather than Parcel Force or someone not US-based.

The key thing is packaging. Couriers are, in my (25 year) experience, much of a muchness and you've only got to see some of the hidden camera footage on yt to see that the biggest names can still treat your parcels like trash. However, if whatever you are sending is packed to survive a nuclear holocaust, then whatever happens to it en-route it will survive.

When I pack stuff for work I try to imagine the box falling from the cargo door of an aircraft onto the tarmac. If I'm happy I've done everything I can to prevent it being damaged, then it's pretty likely to make it.

I did get excellent service earlier this year from the combined USPS and Parcelforce but it could well be the exception that proves the rule!

Parcel2go have some amazing prices from people like UPS - much cheaper than booking direct, but not 100% sure you can do a US pick-up with them, but well worth a look.

So far I've tried TNT,USPS,Fedex and USP all looking for $400 or thereabouts.

Parcelhero are quoting £75 and list DHL,UPS,DPD and Parcelforce as their partners.

Just waiting on my mate getting back to me with when he's free and if it's in a hardcase.

Lucky it's an old Peavey,should handle the rigours of Int shipping.

Thanks to everybody for their input.

Have a Great Christmas tomorrow.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1419423333' post='2639793']USPS are good but it will either fall into the hands of Parcel Farce or My Hermes once it gets to the UK. Neither of which are very good.[/quote]

When I was in NYC I bought a Gretsch Bo Diddley, took the neck off and packed it all well. Posted it by USPS back to my home address and was back in time to take the delivery off ParcelForce.
Only did it the once but it did work a treat. Cost me - IIRC - $72 with insurance for $300 & I marked it "musical instrument, none working, requires repair".

• 2 weeks later...

Just got word from my pal in Chicago that it's shipped.

Yip molan was $125 and just made the dimension limits.

Whipping the neck off would have been cheaper but that would be beyond the capabilities of my mate.
When I asked if it was in a hardcase or a gig bag he said " just a box " with visions of smashed basses
I told him to put another layer of cardboard round it that's when he discovered it was in a hard case.

I'll be polite and say it was a new experience for him :)