Why become a member? ×

In ear monitors - Help?

Curtis_Bass

Hi, I'm thinking about getting some in ear monitors to use for mainly home use while practicing. I use a Tc electronic rh450 to practice with at home and I have to use the headphone output due to neighbours, so with having to headphones and glasses my ears get destroyed by the pair mainly due to pressure from the headphones onto my glasses.

So I was thinking I would get some in ear monitors to use to save the back of my ears from being bruised all the time but I don't know what to get or where to start or if this idea would work?

I normally plug my bass head into my laptop and use headphones to practice along to tracks and such, so with in ears would i simply just plug them into the headphone port on my amp or do I need something else first?

Sorry for sounding very noob-ish at this, thanks.

all you need, superb, use them as our IEM's when gigging, better than stuff 3x the price.

[url="http://www.rha-audio.com/uk/headphones/ma350.html"]http://www.rha-audio...ones/ma350.html[/url]

but don't take my word for it.... :D

http://www.rha-audio.com/uk/reviews/

Edited by skidder652003

Yes budget has a lot to do with it. I have some magicsound in ear headphones that cost me around £30 - they are great. I chuck them in my case and use them all over the place for all sorts.. But they are not monitors. They are very EQ'd and built to flatter middle of the range audio equipment. I also use Sure 535's for touring which are very flat, if not mid heavy, but although not flattering, I enjoy the detail and quality they produce - much more 'monitor' like, and lots more money too. Moulds then go up from there (custom moulded in ear monitors).. I'm sure there's loads of headphones people recommend to you in this thread. Personally I've found AKG light on the bass side, lots of guys (bass players) like Audio Technika stuff. It also depends (sorry), on what you're plugging it into. Try to compare a few things if you can once you've had a few pointers on here maybe..
Happy Shopping!

Thanks for advise so far guys :). My budget would be at most £100, I was thinking in ear monitors because I would use them for the odd gig or just have there just incase it's a rough gig. So would I be able to just plug them into my amp like normal headphones or what? Sorry again for sounding dumb, I'm new to this sort of stuff, in ear wise I mean.

[quote name='Curtis_Bass' timestamp='1417981197' post='2625729']
Thanks for advise so far guys :). My budget would be at most £100, I was thinking in ear monitors because I would use them for the odd gig or just have there just incase it's a rough gig. So would I be able to just plug them into my amp like normal headphones or what? Sorry again for sounding dumb, I'm new to this sort of stuff, in ear wise I mean.
[/quote]

Yes they all use minijack/1/4" Adaptor just like your normal headphones. If you're using them in the band make sure whatever you like the sound of gives you a good 'seal'/ noise isolation. i.e you really want to not hear the acoustics in the room but the headphone sound on its own in a live setting, and I've found that having a less 'scooped' sound help to add definition in a live setting, so bare that in mind when choosing your headphones.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1417984589' post='2625772']
My wife just hinted at wanting some Shure SE215 IEMs for christmas, she had difficultly last time she was on stage hearing and wanted to make sure she didn't have the same problems again.
I must admit I wouldn't mind some - see how she gets on with hers.
[/quote]

215's are cool, I've used them. They don't have so much going on in the low end but if you're using them alongside an amp you should find the lack of low end no probs at all in my experience.

For live use you will need a wired or wireless headphone amp/transmitter-receiver. All the instruments will need to be fed into the desk then you use auxiliary sends to get the desk signal out to your headphone amp then to your ears. There is a long thread in the accessories section on here called in ear monitors - help needed. Have a read. Can't post a link coz i'm on my phone.