Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In multiple bands ? How do you manage your diary ?

Les

It occasionally happens I have to drop a gig for a better one, although I do operate the prior engagement rule as much as possible. There are some rules for getting deps, one has already been touched upon, don't get anyone better than you (!) and don't get anyone blonde and bebreasted. Devil getting a reading bass player round this way though.

This born out of playing in bands with turnips.
How often do you see ads, must not be in another band, OK how often can you play you ask them.
No more than twice a month, Saturdays as well , OK so the other 3 weekends are off and you want someone to sit at home and do nothing for 2/3 weekends of the month and every friday so you get to pick when YOU want to gig.
Yeah mate...
Thats not a band, its your hobby and you want other people to help you achieve it.
These bands always end up with crap bass players.....

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1417160218' post='2617549']
I'm only in one band but have to work around on-call sessions for work and family events. I use Google calendar so I always have everything on my phone and accessible from any computer. I then sync that with my work calendar and the one on the back of the door at home. I have to be meticulous or it's a nightmare

Edit: And yes, make sure all of your bands know what you are doing and what dates are unavailable asap
[/quote]

I'm a one band only guy and for me gigs come before family and girl friends.

The only way I can see multiple bands working is if none of the bands gig very much. Most gigs are on Friday and Saturday nights. i can't imagine there wouldn't be conflicts.

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1417283170' post='2618854']
The only way I can see multiple bands working is if none of the bands gig very much. Most gigs are on Friday and Saturday nights. i can't imagine there wouldn't be conflicts.

blue
[/quote]

Agreed Blue, if you read my original post that's the very scenario that's being forced on me so I'm looking to pad my diary out.

You Sir are a brave man, I did this for a very short time, couldn't really get on with it, as at some point it will cause a problem and you let some one down, the first come first served rule is a good way to go (except for a pro...etc) I do wish you luck, from what you have posted there is a good deal of room to be flexible, but be prepared for fall out, its inevitable at some point.

I guess people are coming at this from various angles to be fair? I am the local bike and can be found with almost any outfit around here so first come first served is the only way I can do that but I suppose if my function band picks up a lot of gigs for next year then I'd be less inclined to offer my services to every man and his dog.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1417289799' post='2618921']
Agreed Blue, if you read my original post that's the very scenario that's being forced on me so I'm looking to pad my diary out.
[/quote]

Les, this is a tough situation and any of us can end up in this predicament.

As you know I am not a[i] " I don't need the money type of guy"[/i] I'm a [i]" I need the money type of guy"[/i]. :D Bookings for my band have been good for the past 3 years, however that could end, just a matter of when.

Les, I think it depends on if your a guy that likes the cash from gigs. The band I saw you pictured in looked very bookable. what happened?

Have you considered scouting out the agency type cover bands and sticking to 1 heavily booked band and does that interest you?

Are you in 3 bands now or was that arrangement to start in January 2015?

Again, how guys manage 3 paid gigging bands is a mystery to me. Thing is, if I have to chose one gig over the other, there is a good chance one band will cancel their gig, thus taking money out of another guys pocket and i don't want to do that to anyone and I don't want it done to me either.

Blue

From personal experience I would not recommend it.

Played in a four piece where the vocalist also sang in two other bands, an absolute nightmare, double bookings, conflict of loyalties.

Played in a four piece with all four of us playing in other bands, booking gigs was the main issue, try finding a Friday or Saturday night when all four are not playing with their other bands, resulted in the band folding through lack of gigs.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1417290855' post='2618939']
You Sir are a brave man, I did this for a very short time, couldn't really get on with it, as at some point it will cause a problem and you let some one down, the first come first served rule is a good way to go (except for a pro...etc) I do wish you luck, from what you have posted there is a good deal of room to be flexible, but be prepared for fall out, its inevitable at some point.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yes fallouts may be on the horizon but I'm going to make sure I have the moral highground by being bang on with my diary and notifying instantly when a date is taken. Band #1's rebookings are done on the night via smartphone so if someone from one of the other bands is sat there thinking " I'll email that gig I've just taken to Les, ooh no, hang on, I'll have a cup of tea instead and do it in the morning", well, what can I say ? I will eamail/cross off the google calendar there and then.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1417293350' post='2618968']
Les, this is a tough situation and any of us can end up in this predicament.

As you know I am not a[i] " I don't need the money type of guy"[/i] I'm a [i]" I need the money type of guy"[/i]. :D Bookings for my band have been good for the past 3 years, however that could end, just a matter of when.

Les, I think it depends on if your a guy that likes the cash from gigs. The band I saw you pictured in looked very bookable. what happened?

Have you considered scouting out the agency type cover bands and sticking to 1 heavily booked band and does that interest you?

Are you in 3 bands now or was that arrangement to start in January 2015?

Again, how guys manage 3 paid gigging bands is a mystery to me. Thing is, if I have to chose one gig over the other, there is a good chance one band will cancel their gig, thus taking money out of another guys pocket and i don't want to do that to anyone and I don't want it done to me either.

Blue
[/quote]

It's not my main income Blue but yes, I expect to be paid so all money adds up and is obviousley useful. The band you saw pictured is very bookable, but we can only do 2 a month now. In reality after the blood sweat and tears to get to such a position I feel a bit betrayed.

Would be happy to be in one band as long as it wanted to gig enough. The 3 band thing starts in January.

So band 1 2 gigs a month (pretty much all in the diary for next year now), band 2 1 or 2 as and when, no pressure it's a sideline for all of us, band 3 3 a month.

Seems workable from here but I suppose time will tell. Pete is much more of a whore than me :lol:

This was the ad I placed, I feel it was fairly honest about my availability and my desires. Do you guys agree ???

[i][b]Bass player available (sort of)[/b]

Hi

I'm 51 very experienced, competent and can sing. Also electric upright bass if required.

I'm already in a successful pub covers band but due to various factors we can only gig twice a month so I'm looking for a band that wants to do about 2 a month to fill the gaps..

I realise multiple bands can sometimes be a nightmare with gigs (and I'm against it in principle) but my band is booked till September next year and it won't be long before the year is booked up so there will be no arguments over diaries as the dates that are free are free, and there is plenty of space.

Any genre considered, the only proviso is that you must be gigging or very close to it, I'm not really looking for a start up.

Thanks for looking

Les[/i]

Our guitarist does it for a living, so his main 'name' band takes priority as that's his main earner. However they tend to do a couple of 4-6 week tours a year with a smattering of other gigs in between. That leaves plenty of weekends free for our covera pub band. We've rarely had any clashes. Then he is in another covers band that pick up the weekends we don't do, plus a bit of dep'ing now and again. It works out well (and I get the occasional weekend to put my feet up) but good communication and synchronised diaries are essential

Les I'm not trying to high jack your thread.However this dilemma will spawn other thoughts and concerns about being in bands and money.

I say, for the small time guy on the hustle like me, when your scouting bands and when you go to their web site I have 2 main concerns and tabs I hit.[list]
[*]Make sure the band your looking at is the current line up of the band
[*]Before looking at pics, bios and video go right to their schedule and check what kind of business they have coming up and their booking history. I like to be able to go back at least year.
[/list]
Blue

Edited by blue

1st thing is that the band members need to say and be happy with the amount of commitment required.
Some people want 2 -3 a month as families need to come into the equation, so everyone needs to
be happy with the workload and then be very organised with a diary.
I don't expect bands to be the be-all and end-all to everyone but if people say that can and will
do something, you need to have trust in them to do just that.
After that you get the people in that you want and some band sets aren't very buskable so
if you book a dep, then they need to be able to get up to speed very quickly...and tbh, the pub gig
can't really pay enough for someone to put the time in UNLESS it is a carrot for gigs down the road.
It depends who you call, and it depends what you want covered. Pub gigs get what they get...but most
people want £100 to start with and with negotiate down if they would rather have something than nothing.

If you use FB groups, then people are willing to travel 2hrs to a gig but they'll want £150 plus exes...before
they even get picky about who or what they play. If music is your prime income, then going out on Sat
night for £150 means you aren't doing very well, but sometimes that is what you will be happy to take,.

I play with and dep with a bunch of bands on bass and guitar as well as sound engineering both at local venues as in house crew and for function bands etc with my own rig. It's my full time income and i've got kids to feed so I have to prioritise the gigs that pay the best whilst trying to minimise impact on family time etc. What this means is I have good lists of quality dep bassists, guitarists and engineers and if it looks like I'll have to step down from a gig I take personal responsibility for arranging the cover before i'll confirm the other gig. If I can't cover it then i'll honour the original booking but all of the bands i work with understand the need to use deps and it's part and parcel of how they operate. In fact, I don't think the soul band I play with has been out with the same line up twice this year!