Why become a member? ×

Identified: Bass seen on holiday

Born 2B Mild

I saw a Spanish Ska band in Majorca last week, at an open air festival in Pollenca.

The bass looked tasty, but not one I recognised. Just before I was going to ask for help on BC to identify it, I stumbled across a similar one on [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jerzy-Drozd-Excellency-6-string-bass-Roland-GK-3B_W0QQitemZ130243537917QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130243537917&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318"]ebay[/url]

It appears to be a [url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/excellency.htm"]Jerzy Drozd Obsession Excellency[/url] . It may be customised as it's sporting a pair of barts.

Anyone know owt about these woody wonders?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='255732' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:21 PM']not really my thing, but how does it sound?[/quote]

Ah, now BMK you touch upon one of my pet subjects. He had a sophisticated bass playing through a Trace head and a Trace 4x12 but there was no distinctive tone coming through. It was tight and audible, but no more interesting than something coming out of China that costs under a ton.

And here's my point... OK, the feel/playability may be enhanced by a fancy bass, but in general I think the gigging bass player has to recognise that fancy gear CAN BE wasted in the mix.

In a loud band and particularly when using fingers and not a pick, your subtle wood types, deluxe strings, pre-amps, and amps with more knobs than Eton, will not get you much further than if you used equipment costing a fraction of the price.

Different in a jazz or semi-acoustic set-up, I grant you. But we rock bassists can be guilty of getting sexed up over boutique gear that frankly is guilding the lilly.

There. I've got it off my chest. It's funny how I see things a bit differently now, since hitting an economically challenging time!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='255762' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:46 PM']the feel/playability may be enhanced by a fancy bass, but in general I think the gigging bass player has to recognise that fancy gear CAN BE wasted in the mix.

In a loud band and particularly when using fingers and not a pick, your subtle wood types, deluxe strings, pre-amps, and amps with more knobs than Eton, will not get you much further than if you used equipment costing a fraction of the price.[/quote]

I agree. This is why people still use Precisions and why some basses (eg Sadowskys) have a reputation for 'cutting though'.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='255762' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:46 PM']Ah, now BMK you touch upon one of my pet subjects. He had a sophisticated bass playing through a Trace head and a Trace 4x12 but there was no distinctive tone coming through. It was tight and audible, but no more interesting than something coming out of China that costs under a ton.

And here's my point... OK, the feel/playability may be enhanced by a fancy bass, but in general I think the gigging bass player has to recognise that fancy gear CAN BE wasted in the mix.

In a loud band and particularly when using fingers and not a pick, your subtle wood types, deluxe strings, pre-amps, and amps with more knobs than Eton, will not get you much further than if you used equipment costing a fraction of the price.

Different in a jazz or semi-acoustic set-up, I grant you. But we rock bassists can be guilty of getting sexed up over boutique gear that frankly is guilding the lilly.

There. I've got it off my chest. It's funny how I see things a bit differently now, since hitting an economically challenging time![/quote]

SPOT ON!

Keep fancy stuff for the studio and your mates houses, gig with rubust stuff like Fenders or Warwicks (even EB-MM)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='255762' date='Aug 5 2008, 08:46 PM']In a loud band and particularly when using fingers and not a pick, your subtle wood types, deluxe strings, pre-amps, and amps with more knobs than Eton, will not get you much further than if you used equipment costing a fraction of the price.[/quote]

exactly! hence my non-exotic bass.....

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='255946' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:50 AM']He could use a cheaper or `more robust' bass but he chooses something that he personally likes! Why bother to criticise? Can't really see the point.[/quote]

How is that criticism when it is an expressed opinion?

Did I say 'he shouldn't be using the Drodz' ?

No.

Did I say 'he was wrong using an expensive bass for gigging'?

No.

It frankly wouldnt have an effect worthy of mention (other than 'good on yer mate) if he was playing a PRS in fact I'd love to see VERY expensive basses being used more. The [u]fact [/u] remains that elaborate intruments only occasionally get used to effect in the live arena, and more rugged instrument can and will effectively provide a classy bassline in teh right hands!

I and B2bM were merely expressing opinions that are, and have held up with years of gigging professionals experiences. Just watch any music programme with a band playing.

I'll flip it back to you, why bother eliciting that what was put was criticism, when it clearly isnt?

Well at the end of the day workhorse and exotic basses are fundamentally tools aren't they? Some like tools that are basic and no nonsense, others like tools that have had a bit of pride put into their construction. I don't know if a Smith bass is considered as exotic as a Jerzy but it makes a sound unlike any other bass I've ever tried. If I wanted the sound (which I did) then I needed the bass.

I can't comment on whether the Jerzy sounded as distinctive but if the guy likes playing it then so what? Just because it didn't sound as exotic as it looked doesn't necessarily mean its pretentious (which is the point that seems to be made here). The guy might like the feel, it might be lightweight, he might find the eq is flexible or the instrument matches the character of his set up.

Alternatively he could be a pretentious knob but judging by the player wear on that instrument, he's had the bass a while and plays it quite a lot. He doesn't seem to care about its condition sufficiently to break into a sweat over a few extra scratches.

I think he just wanted a nice bass to play and something that looked a bit different.

I've always wanted a Jerzy Drodz as I think they look awesome.

There is a massive difference between my 3 main basses, so I do not see how a cheap chinese bass will sound like any of them, especially the distinct Vigier or Warwick.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what other people do anyway.

It's quite possible that the guy with the Drozd may well use just the one bass for live and studio work. Perhaps he prefers to keep as consistent a sound and feel as possible? If you feel inclined to splash out for an expensive axe, you might as well get the use out of it too!

Burpster!

Obviously I've got very little experience of the world of bass guitar so I bow down to your greater knowledge! I agree that many bands tend to use the more 'rugged' types of instrument and that the use of exotica is more confined to a smaller percentage of acts! However, many pro bands are offered endorsements etc so this may explain why many of these guys/ladies use Fenders etc; put it this way, many such players are not in a fiscal position to afford exotica, hence the proliferation of said marques (I know this from a very good friend of mine who had 3 or 4 hit records in the Japanese market who used Fender as he got them cheap and was very very skint).

Steve has hit the head o the nail nicely. The Jerzy is obviously the preferred tool of that particular player - yes, there is opinion that the bass is `wasted' in the context of ska or whatever so perhaps my use of the word `criticise' was slightly incorrect! I value everyone's opinion - that makes us better as people - even if I think they are wrong. The fact remains that a cheaper bass would do the same job - course it would (or is that wood!?) BUT he chooses to use a bass that he loves! Where is the problem with that? Why is the bass wasted in this case (as noted earlier in this thread??? We, as intelligent, thinking bass players are very lucky that there is such a plethora of bass guitars available to us that give each and every one of us pleasure, whether it be aesthetics, playability or tonality (or all these).

...must dash, got a country gig to do - now wheres me Alembic?

Cheers!

Nick

Edited by doctor_of_the_bass