Why become a member? ×

Responses to turning down being in someone's band.

Marvin

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1416833380' post='2613976']
Years ago I got a very shirty response from a band who wanted me to play cello on a recording. Despite me telling them I didn't own a cello and had never played one, they seemed to take it as a personal slight.
[/quote]

Weird! Had they seen you with a double bass and got confused?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1416832283' post='2613957']

There are loads of obvious steps to take before the auditionee has even started to learn parts for the audition (on both sides) so if someone has actually turned up for the audition they, and you, must be reasonably happy that they're going to be considered/consider the band.

[/quote]

But an audition is about much more than just being able to play the parts or liking the band's music, it's also about finding out whether the band like you as a person and can work with you and conversely, whether you can work with the band members.

I once auditioned for a folky bluesy (think Gomez) type act. I'd seen them before and liked their songs and I knew one of the guitarists a bit, so when their bassist left, I was well up for trying out for the gig. Turned up for the audition and within 15 minutes I knew that I was not going to have anything to do with this band as the singer/flautist was a total nightmare! She spent the whole session whining about why she had to be there at all, then she complained about where she was standing as 'it was cold' so we had to move the PA around so she could stand in a spot she liked. I don't think we managed to get through one single tratck all the way through without her stopping the song for one reason or antoher. None of this was helped by the fact that she was also the girlfriend of the main singer/guitarist, so he just did whatever she said.

I was offered the gig, but declined on the basis that we didn't manage to play a complete song and it was all a bit of a waste of time.- they were shocked but agreed that it didn't look good. The band spit up a few months later and I nabbed the other guitarist for a duo project.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1416835217' post='2614005']
...it's also about finding out whether the band like you as a person and can work with you and conversely, whether you can work with the band members....
[/quote]

Quite - [i]you [/i]are also auditioning [i]them [/i]as players and as people.
And (given a certain level of competence) it's not always the best player that gets the gig, it's the person who is most likely to fit in.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1416835217' post='2614005']

But an audition is about much more than just being able to play the parts or liking the band's music, it's also about finding out whether the band like you as a person and can work with you and conversely, whether you can work with the band members.

[/quote]

I totally agree but once you've done a few auditions you learn what questions to ask early on and develop a 6th sense for these things.

Phone calls and emails etc are all good indicators.

It's not foolproof but can save a lot of time and heartache.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1416833198' post='2613974']
Fair enough if everyone knew the deal, but it sounds a bit of a desperate business. Still, kudos to your friend for 'stealing' the gig - he must have certainly impressed!
[/quote]

They all know each other in that scene... and he did impress as when the call came from another Scottish unit that had problems
prior to a big tour, they asked this first band who to get..and they pointed him to the same guy.
Having payed with him, I can certainly get a feel for what it takes..or rather how good those top guys are..
He doesn't do those gigs anymore but his contempories still do.... so technically, I am sure he could get back to that level.
As it is..he is sort of on the local scene and he is by far and away the best player by some considerable way of anyone on any instrument around here...or at least what I know of... and I think I know a lot of the guys. IMO, of course.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416835512' post='2614012']

Quite - [i]you [/i]are also auditioning [i]them [/i]as players and as people.
And (given a certain level of competence) it's not always the best player that gets the gig, it's the person who is most likely to fit in.
[/quote]

I've posted this before, but words of wisdom from Lee Pomeroy :

"The reason I got the Take That gig was as much because I could do good backing vocals as well as play bass. So it can definitely be an asset. I also play guitar, keys and some drums, too, and I'll happily dive in on another instrument if needed.

"Other important factors are simply being a nice person to be around, turning up on time, knowing what you're doing. That goes as far as anything else because it's all very well being the best player with the biggest chops, but if no-one can stand being in a room with you then you're in trouble. Put the kettle on, too - that always goes down well."

"Love what you do, be a nice person to be around, turn up on time, have good equipment, leave your ego in the bin. You should also learn the music, be open to ideas, be a team player, be sympathetic to the music and serve the song. Finally, keep your ears open."

Full article here : http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/lee-pomeroy-an-insiders-view-of-the-session-world-594755

Edited by The Admiral

But you're talking about a completely different standard and circle of players to someone answering an advert.

The audition is all about the fit.

Eventually you can make the audition ONLY about the fit by asking the right questions and getting demos. Questions like how long have you been playing, what gear do you own, what gigs have you done? What do expect to be paid? Send us a demo of your playing and a photo.

A lot of people won't even get through that initial process.

Then there's recommendations and having seen them play.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1416839132' post='2614083']
Something that annoys me no end is finding guys to join a band ... you find them, email them, text them, swap demos and arrange for them to turn up at a rehearsal.

They're fine right up till the evening before. Then you never hear from them again.
[/quote]

One thing I have learned in my limited experience is that musicans are flakes. Most of them don't have the taken, drive, professionalism, or personality to make it in a band. It wasn't until I started playing in bands that I realised why so few actually make it, and why so many that do make it break up. It's bloody hard work!

Agreed. And I'm only talking about a band to play in pubs and stuff.

You wonder why people sound so keen, "really looking forward to it" etc - then just don't turn up, and completely ignore you when you text to see if they're OK.

Perhaps they all die in freak accidents on the way to that first rehearsal.