Why become a member? ×

Jools and the Aldi Christmas Ad

yorks5stringer

Most youtube ads can be skipped after a few seconds, though some sites seem to force you to run through a full ad. Depending on my mood, I usually just go somewhere else - which is the other advantage of having an effectively infinite amount of online choice rather than being limited to a relatively few TV channels.

I only mentioned there is life after TV to give you the self-satisfaction of pointing out how self-satisfying it sounds ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1416829134' post='2613908']
Most youtube ads can be skipped after a few seconds, though some sites seem to force you to run through a full ad. Depending on my mood, I usually just go somewhere else - which is the other advantage of having an effectively infinite amount of online choice rather than being limited to a relatively few TV channels.

I only mentioned there is life after TV to give you the self-satisfaction of pointing out how self-satisfying it sounds ;)
[/quote]

Channel 5's "iPlayer" now forces you to allow ads on any AdBlocker. Bah, "Under The Dome" had gone cr@p anyway! Currently wallowing in nostalgia of an evening watching the whole of 1972's "Colditz" series on Youtube! Major Mohn has yet to make his appearance.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1416838980' post='2614080']
I never watch TV ads, I record everything then skip through them, I'd like to thank everybody that does though, they help provide my programmes for nothing (apart from the Beeb ones obviously)
[/quote]

Actually I wonder how many people [i]really[/i] watch ads. There's no way of knowing how many people are actually watching an ad. Companies just take a calculated guess that an ad at X time on X channel will get X views. They don't know how this is converted into revenue.

I'd like to thank the sales people at channel 4 for keeping the channel alive, and all the people in marketing departments that keep buying the ads. They help provide my programmes for nothing :)

There's a masterpiece of advertising all over the various media this morning too. I refer of course to the 'news' that [url="http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/bags-money-tetley-tea-insures-4694320"]Tetley have insured the tastebuds of one of their blenders[/url]. It was all over the BBC radio news this morning, on the hour [i]and[/i] half-hour, and is in several newspapers and their websites, not to mention Huffpost. And you can bet your bottom that the insurance premium was a microscopic fraction of the cost of taking out adverts in all those publications. Not to mention of course the completely free advertising on the non-commercial BBC. Tetley must be laughing their heads off. It's a stroke of genius.

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1417011250' post='2616048']
I'm shocked that so many of you are watching commercial television...you uncouth lot. :P
[/quote]

The maid had it on as I passed through the Scullery. TV's were banned under the stairs until 2010 then young Mister YFS ( he's 94) relented. That said, they are allowed 30 minutes a day and have to pay for the license themselves...