Why become a member? ×

TKS with Walkabout

Nodd

Hi,
Just wondered if you had an opinion on what cab from your range would pair well with a Mesa Walkabout?
I'm using a P-bass with either a Wizzy 12 or the Scout 15" at the moment.
The Wizzy is a bit too 'polite' and the 15" just a bit too big.
I'd describe my sound as quite fat and raspy, aggressive finger style, no real need for zingy highs.
Cheers,
Nodd

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1416171252' post='2607635']
No good for reggae then :(
[/quote]

If you mean oddles of bass in a dub sound ..??
Not the S112's, IMO, no..

I'd use them in a bass slammin' type of thing, but then I doubt that would get me a reggae gig...

We did a lightweight amp comparison with some odd "heavyweight champions" among them at the TKS facility two weeks ago. One of the conventional amps was a nice WalkAbout. We used a TKS H115 as reference speaker. The amps we checked were:

- GK MB Fusion 500
- Genz Benz Streamliner 900
- Aguilar TH500
- Tecamp Puma 900
- EBS Reidmar
- GK MB 200
- Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.0
- TC Electronic RH 450 or 750, don't remember which...
Also these of more conventional weight:
- Mesa WalkAbout
- Mesa Carbine M3
- Euphonic Audio iAmp 800
- EBS Classic 500

The favourite lightweight amp was the Streamliner 900, mostly for its very tubelike conventional tone, followed by the MB Fusion and TH500, but of different reasons.
The two Mesa amps were the favourites among the heavier ones, M3 the cleaner and WA the meaner.

My impression of the WA through the TKS H115 was that it sounded very good; the amp is rather easy to overdrive, but it overdrives very, very nice. Don't forget that the WA isn't that muscular in 8 ohms. Maybe this amp manage to play a bit cleaner when driving 4 ohms load. Comparing the WA and M3, the M3 was cleaner and more alike the STL 900 in tonal charachter. But - the WA into a beefy 115 sounded very... saucy and juicy, if you got my point. Wateroftyne has a real nice setup: two small 112's giving the amp the opportunity to work in 4 ohms. If I was to choose, I'd probably do like him. Or get two H115's like I have... B)

Edited by bassmayhem

I have an S112 (without tweeter) in the latter stages of completion and cant wait to get it... current head is TC RH450 which I really like but lately I've been drawn to the phat tones of the Orange Bass Terror 500 and wonder on the back of the above shoot out if anyone has tried one with an S112? I suppose the reputed sheer volume from the TB and the fact that its 500w into 8ohms might deter people from trying one with the 250w rated TKS... I think tonally it might be a nice match tho :)