Why become a member? ×

All my stuff's breaking :(

Truckstop

[rant]

So I've been using an Ampeg PF350 and Orange SP210 rig for a while. I bought the cab broken (one blown speaker) so I replaced the speakers and all was well. I bought the PF350 for home practice with headphones but now use it for gigs too. I had heard of issues surrounding the PF500 (one of which I owned for about a year with no issues) but not the 350 version so pulled the trigger.

Last Friday, the PF350 started cutting out during the last 3 or 4 numbers. Half volume, no effects, low gain, no odd EQ. The cab was fine up until the end. Then I had rehearsals last night and it sounds like one of the speakers in the SP210 has blown! It hasn't been chucked about, it's been kept dry and warm indoors and it hadn't been used since the gig on Friday.

I'm struggling to see how this could have happened; the speakers are rated 350w each at 16ohms so the cab is capable of 700w at 8ohm. The PF350 only chucks out 275w at 8ohms and it was only on half volume anyway.

Gutted. I've recently sold all my gear because I was happy with this rig and now it all needs replacing or repairing :( Next thing I'll probably end up dropping and breaking my only bass too!

Truckstop

I've just replaced my Ampeg PF-500. I used it for about 2 and a half years and 95% of the time it was fine. Every now and then though it would do something weird like this.

I've since come to realise that buying an amp with a dedicated 'fault' light isn't the best idea!

Edited by Ben Jamin

As I've been gigging a bit more over the last 2 years than previously the potential for breakdown has been at the back of my mind for a while. If I had a sudden fail on the night I have no backup (though neither does the guitarist or vox/2nd guitar) since the band PA is pretty basic and wouldn't stand up to me DI'ing through my Bassattack pedal. I used to take a backup amp to all my gigs years ago and it never got used so I sold it in the end. I don't have my main combo routinely serviced either. In fact I don't recall ever having it serviced and I must have had it 10 years by now, it wasn't new when I got it. Then again I don't bounce it down flights of stairs or anything. Are there any decent quality small lightweight bass amps that would do a reasonable job which don't require a second mortgage to purchase? My backup was a Behringer 4500H but it was a bit of a lump to haul around as a backup. Wouldn't want to pay much more than that for an emergency.

The TH does the Ampeg thing very well, IMO.
We ran one last week.. a PF500 and a TH500 side by side
and they both did a good job. The observation by the owner of
the PF500 was that he may swap it out for the TH500 as the latter
is lighter and also, in light of the reliability issues, it makes sense.
The PF500 has done around 120 gigs tho..so..???

I'm growing to really dislike Class-D stuff. I much prefer the weight of tone that you only seem to et from big old heat-sink amps.

Might try and find a GK 400-700RB and a cheapy cab. Had a 400RB for 4 years; weekly rehearsals and gigs and never missed a beat! Also used a beat Torque 4x10 that never failed too.

Truckstop

Sorry to hear of your problems. Have been contemplating changing from my GK stuff to something lighter / class d ish.
Reading your post makes me think I'll stick with it now. My GK 1001 head is only around 20 lbs and I'm not that old (yet!)
to be able to carry it. When the time comes maybe.....

Don't get me wrong a lot of Class D stuff sounds great and is really handy if you gig a lot and like travelling light. I'm just hankering after good old fashioned weight I think; something that feels and sounds solid!

Anyway, good news! I took the SP210 apart this afternoon and a loose connector seems to have been the problem :)

Still want to change my amp though!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1415886554' post='2604833']
I'm growing to really dislike Class-D stuff. I much prefer the weight of tone that you only seem to et from big old heat-sink amps.

Might try and find a GK 400-700RB and a cheapy cab. Had a 400RB for 4 years; weekly rehearsals and gigs and never missed a beat! Also used a beat Torque 4x10 that never failed too.

Truckstop
[/quote]

I'm a GK guy 1001rb with GK RBX cabs ( not neo ) 1 15 with 2 10s on top. Been gigging heavily since 2009. No problems.

Watch something go wrong this weekend. :D

Occasionally I get nostalgic about the tube SVTs and Orange amps I had back in the early 70s. But I understand those amps are not what they use to be.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've had a Peavey Databass combo for about 20 years now. Every now and then I think about getting something else, but it's been so reliable and sounds great. I've had to re-cone it a couple of times just through general wear and tear - the last time the braided cables wore out and can't be re-soldered. It's a 450W 1x15 combo that slots neatly into the boot of my car. It's not the lightest of amps but has been gigged extensively and doesn't owe me a penny. Colour me GAS-free!