Why become a member? ×

Embedded YouTube videos no longer playing on Chrome for Android

dannybuoy

I used to be able to play YouTube videos embedded into posts either directly in the browser, or by clicking on the title to launch then in the YouTube app, but now I just see the image with the play button and nothing happens when I press it.

Not sure if this is a site update or Chrome update that's broken something?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1415736019' post='2603274']
When I press on the video image, all that happens is the Quote and Edit buttons appear, as if I just pressed on the text area of a normal post.[/quote]
Same for me, I thought it was my phone. On the very odd random occasion it works, but 99% of the time it doesn't. That's a Sammie S5 with KitKat 4.4.2

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1415752714' post='2603524']
I think there's been some odd stuff happening in Chrome recently. A few sites, including our BassGear home page, haven't been working properly but it's all been quit random. Works one day and then nothing the next!
[/quote]

I've always been pretty much 'browser neutral' but I have noticed that Chrome seems to crop up in error reports far more often than other browsers of late.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1415773274' post='2603556'] I've got the same problem, so it's not just Danny. I guess there's been an "upgrade" Videos work in the Android browser though. [/quote]

Same for me, but there's no Android browser on my phone (Nexus 4 running 4.4.4) so the only way around it I've found is to flip to the full site and open the clip from there.

Something similar happens with any other links in posts - it still seems to activate the quote functionality - but then the link goes on to open. Not sure why the result is different for youtube clips, but I'd have thought having hyperlinks nested within each other is likely to yield unpredictable behaviour..?

• 11 months later...

This has become an issue again, I've tried multiple Android phones with Chrome and Firefox, both are getting a 'missing plugin' box instead of an embedded video.

iOS works fine and that doesn't support Flash - so these videos must be able to play over HTML 5 but something is broken when it comes to Android!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1445708363' post='2893657']
This has become an issue again, I've tried multiple Android phones with Chrome and Firefox, both are getting a 'missing plugin' box instead of an embedded video.

iOS works fine and that doesn't support Flash - so these videos must be able to play over HTML 5 but something is broken when it comes to Android!
[/quote]

The 'missing plugin' message is a bit of a red herring as it can appear if the plugin is installed but not enabled or if an alternative plugin has been installed (at which point the 'proper' plugin is disabled by default).

Unfortunately, there are so many variables that advising a specific fix isn't possible but my first step would be to check what plugins are installed and ensure that the one required is there and hasn't been demoted by a third party one.

The plugins are outside the control of Basschat as they aren't written or released by us.

There are no plugins installed, and Chrome on Android no longer supports them. The issue seems to be that the site is trying to serve up Flash content to my Android device when it used to deliver them via HTML5. Safari and Chrome are still able to play embedded content on my iPad, and none of these devices have ever had Flash player installed.

Assuming the site hasn't had any code changes recently, this was probably broken by a recent change in Chrome for Android. But since I don't have any issues viewing similar embedded content in other sites such as Talkbass, this suggests that whatever the issue is, it should in theory be fixable at your end!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1445708363' post='2893657']
[/quote]

I've got this again too. Same browser and os.