Why become a member? ×

General costs for a sunburst refinish..

bubinga5

Maybe looking to get a natural bass refinished in a burst.. Ive looked around and it seems it around the the £250 mark.. Has anyone had this done to a bass body.. Im aware of Sims, but they are expensive.. just trying to get and idea of whats involved.. i can probably strip the bass of electronics etc.. is this necessary to have the body just bare wood.? i want a burst with a high gloss finish.

any ideas.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1415221088' post='2598150']
I think you could save yourself a lot of trouble by purchasing a bass with a high gloss burst finish. There are a lot out there.

Blue
[/quote]erm.. thanks, I'm aware of all the sunburst basses out there. and i don't mind the trouble, thats why I'm asking. :)

Sounds like a nice project to me bub :)

Seen a bass and a couple of guitars wrapped (vinyl) last week, they look very trick indeed. Looked into it and there are a lot of great finishes/ designs.... Two were vinyl wrapped and one was done with Hydrographics, this is done using a process were they have the colour floating on water then drop the body in so that it wraps/ coats the body, then lacquered..... Some mind blowing results.

Look at this :
https://dipthis.co.uk/things_we_dip/. Potential for Some Awesome designs!!! And high gloss lacquer too.... I like the tattoo themed wraps....

I also looked on you tube at about a million videos of swirl painting a guitar , not what your after I know, but I'd love to have a go at it :)

I have no idea of cost, but the vinyl wrap, which in this instance was covered in a Roy Lichtenstein pop art type print wasn't expensive....
There are some great ones on the net, just google wrapped guitars.... Lots of 3d or even textured patterns too....

In answer to your question about does it need to be stripped back to the wood?
I guess not as many of the great looking genuine road worn fenders show the wear of one colour through to a different base colour. ..... ???
It may need to have the paint coat keyed in though for better adhesion ?

No expert just applying common sense approach and volume to my thoughts :)

Edited by Wonky2

I like Sims work but is the project worth that sort of finish?
HIgh end finish = high end money.

I think you could keep the cost down if you did all the prep work and left whichever spray shop to
just apply the paint... but I also suspect that the best results are in the prep anyway..???

[quote name='Dwilson Guitars' timestamp='1415478540' post='2600835']
Hi there , can I be bold and put my self forward to sunburst your bass , if it's clear / natural I could use your existing finish as a sealer and sand half off then burst over it to keep the cost down , checkout my face book page DWilson Guitars or my web dwilsonguitars ,
Best regards
David
[/quote]you can be so bold David, and expect a PM.

Edited by bubinga5