Why become a member? ×

Quick question - neck pocket / compatibility Vintage V4 (JHS)

biro

Hi all, just a very quick question. (Apologies in advance for not being able to use an older topic - the brand name just makes it very difficult to find suitable ones!)

I just laid my eyes on a very nice Vintage V4 Tony Butler signature model. I don't care so much for the signature thing, but boy the bass looks good and the price would be right for my taste. However, as I like to tinker with my guitars I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in replacing the neck. I don't plan to, but you never know...

Hence my question in more straightforward terms: are Vintage basses (Vintage as in JHS Vintage) compatible with Fender replacement necks?

Thanks!

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1414956429' post='2595068']
I think the neck pocket's a couple of mm narrower - ~61mm against 63.5mm (2.5 inches) for Fenders.
[/quote]

Thank you barkin! Oh dear, this is some kind of a disappointment, especially considering how good the bass looks. I might have to wait for the right Squier I am afraid. :( (Although sanding, could always be an option.)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1414960696' post='2595139']
The necks on the couple of vintage instruments that I've owned were good enough for me to not feel the need to swap them out. :)
[/quote]

Thanks! I have no doubt that this is the case. The two 'Vintages' I have tried were very nice instruments, and I am sure the neck will be more than fine. My concern is partly a matter of precaution, partly me being a diehard tinkerer. (As in 'hey, this Status neck looks very nice!') :D

The V4 I used to own had the nicest feeling P neck, rock solid. An added plus over Squier is that the V4 has a full length headstock so it can wear true large vintage spec (like a Fender) tuners whereas the Squiers have a stubbier headstock so you need smaller bodied tuners.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1415005380' post='2595424']
The V4 I used to own had the nicest feeling P neck, rock solid. An added plus over Squier is that the V4 has a full length headstock so it can wear true large vintage spec (like a Fender) tuners whereas the Squiers have a stubbier headstock so you need smaller bodied tuners.
[/quote]

Thanks man! I might have to take the plunge then! :)

If you really really want to swap out the neck on the Vintage then a decent luthier could graft it on for you - it would be a one way journey for either the neck or the body, but it is possible... I like the neck on my Vintage at least as much as the neck on the various Fender/Squier/other p-bass types I have tried, but I too have a 'habit' of tinkering so sypathise with your concern.

The last fail-safe is of course that Vintage basses (i.e. [b]V[/b]intage brand, not [b]v[/b]intage old) are outstanding value for money, so you could get another and keep one standard while modding the other... Good luck whatever you choose!

Also, I have to say that the tuning stability on my V4 is outstanding - don't know for certain why, but 99% of the times I pick it up it is still in tune, and then doesn't need touching for the whole session. Love the damn thing :)