Why become a member? ×

[S][M][V]... Stanley, Marcus, Victor

Faithless

Stanley Clarke.

Marcus Miller.

Victor Wooten.

[url="http://www.smvmusic.com/"]http://www.smvmusic.com/[/url] - tour, and upcoming record.

P.S. Is it going to be a real diamond, or another flashy bass-playing-vespiary, how do ya, guys, think?...

[quote name='Faithless' post='251684' date='Jul 30 2008, 09:54 PM']Is it going to be a real diamond, or another flashy bass-playing-vespiary, how do ya, guys, think?...[/quote]
Hmm... I'm thinking the latter. Great players, for sure. But for me, there's something inherently dull about soloing bassists!

I'll be sorting out the odd socks that night.

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='251698' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:15 PM']Hmm... I'm thinking the latter. Great players, for sure. But there's something inherently dull about soloing bassists![/quote]
I kind of feel the same really.. I love great bass playing in the context of a great song more than I love amazing bass playing virtuosity..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='251702' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:17 PM']I feel the same. I love great bass playing in the context of a great song more than I love amazing bass playing virtuosity..[/quote]Amen to that. I love to practice onerism on my bass from time to time, as the angry neighbours will confirm, however, I look on YouTube at these "Masters" and all I feel is a mixture of "seen it before but not as fast, seen it before but not as musical, seen it before by some kid, seen it before back in 19...".
I admire certain aspects of all of these players, Stan's early albums, Marcus's work with some of my favourite artist's and Vic's feel for harmony but together I think it's like having three Jeremy Clarkson's present Top Gear.

Here was me thinking this was going to be a nice thread celebrating the coming together of three of the greatest bass players of our time in the name of entertainment, but once again, it's all sinking into the mire of the "Musicians Wars" thread. Why not let's all criticise what we can't do ourselves?

Sad, quite sad.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='251717' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:37 PM']Here was me thinking this was going to be a nice thread celebrating the coming together of three of the greatest bass players of our time in the name of entertainment, but once again, it's all sinking into the mire of the "Musicians Wars" thread. Why not let's all criticise what we can't do ourselves?

Sad, quite sad.[/quote]

Don't be so negative, we like to criticize. :)

Those guys know what they're doing so I doubt it'll be terrible, and I'd probably be a really good live show. Regardless, its going to be more of the same.. Clarke will strum powerchords and open string double stops on his elastic-band sounding bass, Miller will play the same slap groove he plays on every track, and then will move up two octaves and slap some kind of a melody, and Wooten will play some decent fingerstyle groove with a bunch of fancy harmonic runs thrown in, then will amaze us all by turning his bass into a 4 string click machine in front of our eyes.

Meanwhile, if you want to hear a band with 3 bassists that actually has as much musical as novelty value, check out the early albums by 'Rothko'. They might be a bit hard to get hold of and are a bit ambientish, but is some of the most inspired and original music that I've ever heard.

Edited by Oscar South

I'm sorry you feel like that but I would prefer to see these guys in the context of a band, Bella, Return, Sanbourne, etc.
I feel empowered by their magic and skill but I would find it a bit too much to see them all together.
I understand that is a way to get bums on seats but in my opinion I would rather experience the full synergy of an evening of each of them seperately rather than a best of, give the punters their $60's worth.
Their music has always challenged me emotionally and technically but I suppose it would still be a great night.
(In response to OTPJ's post)

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='251717' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:37 PM']Here was me thinking this was going to be a nice thread celebrating the coming together of three of the greatest bass players of our time in the name of entertainment, but once again, it's all sinking into the mire of the "Musicians Wars" thread. Why not let's all criticise what we can't do ourselves?

Sad, quite sad.[/quote]
Hi OTPJ,

Well said and let's hope this doesn't descend into the mire of another "Musicians Wars" thread, because as you say, this is a quite unique event and a great learning opportunity.

My comment was made in response to the OP's question and not consciously intended to start another huge round of negativity.. But thinking about it, I can see now how easily such comments can be taken the wrong way.

So in the interests promoting harmony around here and avoiding more negativity happening, let me say that though it's not my personal cup of tea, [S][M][V] could well be the bass event of the decade! :)

Nik

[quote]Hi OTPJ,

Well said and let's hope this doesn't descend into the mire of another "Musicians Wars" thread, because as you say, this is a quite unique event and a great learning opportunity.

My comment was made in response to the OP's question and not consciously intended to start another huge round of negativity.. But thinking about it, I can see now how easily such comments can be taken the wrong way.

So in the interests promoting harmony around here and avoiding more negativity happening, let me say that though it's not my personal cup of tea, [S][M][V] could well be the bass event of the decade!

Nik[/quote]

Thanks for injecting some common sense into the thread, Nik!

Yes, admittedly it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but something this spectacular doesn't come around very often. Let's wait for the CD to come out and perhaps many of us will love it!

I have high hopes for this one, and let it be said, I don't like all the solo albums by these guys. Like everyone else, I'm selective, but on the strength of Victor's latest effort, "Palmystery" & what I saw of the three of them playing together at the lifetime award ceremony for Stanley Clarke, it's gonna be great!

Rich.

Haven't read all of the thread but thought i'd chip in...

Yeah, real shame they aren't playing in the UK, although i'm tempted to take a trip abroad for a bit of bass action, not sure which yet...Amsterdamn, Warsaw, Paris...so many choices, great stuff!

As regards the same old stuff or what have you. I prefer to think of it in a different sense. These guys are some of the greatest musicians around, note...musicians, not bassists, that they are indeed, but in the bigger picture, they're phenominal musicians. The fact that the play bass seems to pigeon hole them to some degree...but they're incredible musicians colaborating to offer a different take on things. It's only now that i'm starting to realise just how musical these guys all are. Yes, they may be doing the same things, but it works well in this context.

I have huge respect for each player, whilst i've not intensely listened to them all in detail. Some may view this venture as a show case of trips...i will view it as a source of inspiration and an opportunity to learn something new, to learn how the bass can interact within other contexts, to see how the top guys work around each other and create something fresh. It won't all be monsterous technique, there will be some, but i would expect a large amount of musical flare to be on display!!!

Rich...Palmystery is a cracker isn't it, not the best i've heard of a bass album, but Vic really does show his true talent as a player doesn't he!

[quote name='Oscar South' post='251760' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:54 PM']Soliloquy is yet to be toppled as the greatest solo bass achievement, and somehow I doubt anyone but Manring himself has the ability to do it.[/quote]

Soliloquy has to be one of my all time favourite albums, not just bass albums, I love it.

I must be very sad and need to get out more, I love listening to bass albums, I have all of Manrings stuff, the one with him, Yves Carbonne and Dominic Di Piazza is amazing, it's three fantastic musicians playing together, and I mean together, creating music.

Don't get me wrong, I like to hear bass played well in its so called proper role, but I really like it as a solo instrument.

I'm really looking forward to this album, and I'd love to get to see the tour, one of these days I'm going to get to see Michael Manring play.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='251740' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:28 PM']Thanks for injecting some common sense into the thread, Nik![/quote]
That was you who did that Rich, not me! :)

It made me stop and think before my next post, which is a good thing... On the basis of what's being said in this topic, I'm going to check out some of these albums so I can learn a bit more.

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='251868' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:50 AM']That was you who did that Rich, not me! :)

It made me stop and think before my next post, which is a good thing... On the basis of what's being said in this topic, I'm going to check out some of these albums so I can learn a bit more.

Cheers

Nik[/quote]

While you're at it Nik, have a listen to Wooten's Yin-Yang. The first half is instrumental-based & possibly the best Vic has produced so far.

Rich.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='251760' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:54 PM']Soliloquy is yet to be toppled as the greatest solo bass achievement, and somehow I doubt anyone but Manring himself has the ability to do it.[/quote]

+1 : a unique bass-album, far away from any hype of specific style. Best thing I heard in decades.

As for S M V : I think they will add more and more dates and probably also in the UK..
In the beginning there were a couple of dates in Holland but now also Belgium (Ghent) was added so surely the UK will also be on the list...Enjoy !

I'm not going to be on a downer.

I'd absolutely love to see them live, whether it's a solotastic night or not.

I never got the chance to see the likes of Jaco in the flesh. Luckily, I've seen Marcus two or three times, Stanley with George Duke once, but never Victor.

I also remember how I felt the first time I saw Chick Corea with Patitucci, Weckl, Gambale and Marienthal live.

So to see Stanley, Marcus and Victor on the same stage together would be something I could walk away from with a huge smile on my face.......if only there were UK dates (what did I say about not being on a downer? :)).

Edited by Thunderthumbs

In the video above, there's a load of noise that begins at 12:00. It instantly reminded me of a this time a guy said to me "slap bass is for pr*cks".

They've crossed the line where it stops being musical and it becomes just using a technique for the sake of it.

(Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of slap, I often indulge can play to a decent standard, and I like and admire these three musicians. But this reminded me of the times when I'm watching a band and I can't help but feel embarrassed for the people up there).

OK , I've heard it, in fact I have a copy, and it's actaully a lot better than that naff youtube clip, my one vaguely controversial verdict is that Stanley come off worst for his tone and his playing, while Vic and Marcus groove like crazy and play some really tasty bass, they even 'jam' a version of Classical Thump, which is full of chops but also grooves like crazy and has a real sense of fun about it, Marcus adds some tasty blues licks to the 'classical' ideas and Vic is on it big time. It's also really well produced, has some very musical themes, melodies etc and generally comes over as a very complete project rather than a bass w***fest.

M