Why become a member? ×

Gibson 'New for 2015' offerings. Sigh.

NancyJohnson

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1412801751' post='2572301']
I found a 2014 (or was it 2013?) EB the other day, and gave it a try. One of these:

It was a funny thing. It was so light that it almost flew out of my hand when I picked it up and the faded finish made it feel like it was made of plastic. Now don't get me wrong, I love Gibson's faded range (I have 2 faded guitars) and maybe it works well on mahogany, but on ash it looks like an oil spill. Actually playing it wasn't too bad, it wasn't neck heavy and the light weight and warm finish made it feel quite comfy. Sound was average, but I'm not surprised Gibson don't sell many basses when you see what else is offered at this price range. I was a little underwhelmed.
[/quote]

That's a 2013 model - tort pickguard, jack socket on the pickguard, no anniversary 12th inlay. I have to say that the finish is my least favourite thing about my EB. It's just as well I like the ergonomics and the sound.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1412770742' post='2571801']
Due to the positioning of the strap button behind the neck heel (standard on new basses, common anti-dive modification on older ones), the bass tends to sit an inch or two to the left of where any other bass naturally hangs.
[/quote]

Compared to a Fender shape, I'd say more like 3 - 4 inches (no upper horn for the strap). So that neck is a l-o-n-g way up to reach the lower frets. I tend to rest my forearm on the body (have a bad right shoulder!), so its a good shape for me. Just need a short scale version!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1412802498' post='2572319']
That's a 2013 model - tort pickguard, jack socket on the pickguard, no anniversary 12th inlay. I have to say that the finish is my least favourite thing about my EB. It's just as well I like the ergonomics and the sound.
[/quote]

Oh I'm glad you like yours! The ergonomics were pretty nice, it felt like I was playing my SG electric rather than a bass. Can't say I was taken aback by the sound but I'm glad it floats somebody's boat.

[quote name='Heket' timestamp='1412803908' post='2572344']
Oh I'm glad you like yours! The ergonomics were pretty nice, it felt like I was playing my SG electric rather than a bass. Can't say I was taken aback by the sound but I'm glad it floats somebody's boat.
[/quote]

I played one through an OBT and it sounded bostin'. I really like the way it looks, especially in cream or gold. I want one, trouble is I don't need one.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1411909061' post='2563757']
From the guy that put a checkerboard pickguard on a LPB jazz bass. Dude. You have no place to comment on taste here. :P

For the record I believe that the prettiest bass that Gibson made was the more excitingly coloured Thunderbird II instruments in the '60s.

[/quote]

Thats one beautiful looking Thunderbird!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1411923186' post='2563933']
Gibson [i]have[/i] made some pretty basses IMO. The Thunderbirds pictured earlier are a prime example, as is the Les Paul Signature bass which was the basis of the Epi Jack Casady;

[/quote]
Why will Gibson not reissue this bass? Probably the best bass they made although I have yet to see one up close.

[quote name='Clint' timestamp='1415912024' post='2605259']
Why will Gibson not reissue this bass? Probably the best bass they made although I have yet to see one up close.
[/quote]

Jack Casady went to Gibson first but they declined - "[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]When in 1998 I approached Gibson about reissuing that bass they turned me over to Jim Rosenberg, President of Epiphone. They owned Epiphone and they thought that the bass was too much of an odd duck for Gibson to put back out again."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Admittedly that was a while ago so you never know, but for now you'll have to put up with the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature. Not really a hardship, I'm a big fan of mine and so are the guys in my band.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1411909061' post='2563757']
From the guy that put a checkerboard pickguard on a LPB jazz bass. Dude. You have no place to comment on taste here. :P

For the record I believe that the prettiest bass that Gibson made was the more excitingly coloured Thunderbird II instruments in the '60s.

[/quote]This is a thing of great loveliness. I really like that retro surf-type look you get with some of the early custom colours :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415914151' post='2605281']

Jack Casady went to Gibson first but they declined - "[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]When in 1998 I approached Gibson about reissuing that bass they turned me over to Jim Rosenberg, President of Epiphone. They owned Epiphone and they thought that the bass was too much of an odd duck for Gibson to put back out again."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=4]Admittedly that was a while ago so you never know, but for now you'll have to put up with the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature. Not really a hardship, I'm a big fan of mine and so are the guys in my band.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

FWIW an old guitarist friend of mine with an incredible collection of vintage instruments will not touch a Gibson, claims Epiphones are as good if not better and great value for money. He doesn't penny pinch on guitar purchases so for me that view has always stuck. I would not feel any shame in playing an Epiphone Thunderbird, Jack Cassidy (if there was a lefty version is already have it!!) but there's a load of basses much higher on my GAS list. All down to personal preference I guess. Gibson did make an effort towards leftys a year or two ago but that seemed very short lived unfortunately. Now looking at basses they don't even figure for me