Why become a member? ×

Tips for learning how to do backing vocals while playing

BassYerbouti

I started off playing bass only, then I got a mic stand stuck in front of me at practices to get used to it and then once I got confident enough I started doing backing vocals. I'm now the lead singer/bass player in my current band :lol:

My advice for learning to play without looking at the fretboard - play with your eyes closed when you're practising at home. I used to lie on my bed, lights off, eyes closed and just play the parts by "feel". Others do it by "noodling" (sitting in front of the tv and playing your part whilst watching Star Trek or Friends or whatever it is that people watch these days). After a while muscle memory etc. kicks in and you can start to play without thinking about what you're doing, this prepares you for being able to sing and play.

The other potential problem for those starting to sing bvox is being confident with your singing. You've got to be able to sing in key and sing the right notes. Often the bvox are a harmony over the lead vocal so you've got to be OK with picking out those parts, "dialling" them in and being able to sing them. I'm lucky in that I come from a musical family and even sang in the church choir as a kid (many years ago before I lost the light) so have a good grasp of harmony etc.. For some it comes easily for others you may have to think about it a bit more.

If you're serious about singing consider getting some vocal coaching so you can learn how to project your voice and also protect it (warming up properly etc.)

Learn the words (or have them printed out and on a music stand) so you don't have to think about what you're singing.

Be prepared to "dum down" the bass part to allow you to get used to playing and singing simultaneously.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1412154463' post='2566108']
Try not to get too near the mike, you are singing backing vox so you dont want to drown out the singer.
[/quote]

Really? I find the opposite! Lips right on the mike, and make shure (see what I did there?) that the mike is properly aligned. That way, you don't have to shout or strain your voice (which also helps with pitching). It also means that the mike doesn't have to be up so loud that it feeds back or picks up other instruments. Another good reason to strengthen/project your voice...

If you are louder than the singer, then it's the job of whoever operates the PA (which in our case usually [i][b]is[/b][/i] the singer!) to fix that.

Edited by Conan

I found that the recording process really helped, both the playing and learning the words. I could never remember the lyrics for songs (that I'd written! :D ), and always had to have lyric "crib" sheets for each song by the mic stand. This made things really difficult, as you'd not only forget the words, but forget where you were/what you were playing in a song. Somewhat awkward.

When it came to recording the songs, doing the music separate to the lyrics really helped me concentrate on the neccesary parts individually, and it became so much easier doing those songs at the next rehearsal, as I'd not only remember the words, and so could concentrate on the music far more easily too.

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1412172922' post='2566434']
If you master this, does it also make the Bass Face go away???
[/quote]

It can... but bizarrely it may involve the appearance of "backing vocals face" - which inexplicably seems to mean closing one's eyes... :huh: <_<

I front a Thin Lizzy cover band so guess I can speak with a bit of experience on this one.

1) Learn the bass line inside out - one less thing to think about
2) Learn the vocal line inside out - see above!
3) Identify 'key points' for the vocal i.e. know what your hands are doing at key vocal points be that resting, moving between notes, playing a Bb etc
4) Practice, practice, practice...then practice some more!!!

Try the live version of Lizzy's Fighting My Way Back as an exercise...easy vocal, easy bass line...try both together!

Edited by DaytonaRik