Why become a member? ×

Tone Hammer with Markbass cabs, anybody tried?

karlfer

Stating the obvious here but did you select the right pad for active or passive?

I am not a mad keen fan on Markbass cabs myself as I regard them as being a tad soft
in conjunction with their amps so the match up with a TH..which I like .. wouldn't be my choice
anyway.
I've yet to use mine with NEO's...

Yup, correct pad used.
All I can say is that the 2 Markbass cabs I'm now using have been a revelation live, compared to my B/F S12V.
More punch, less boom but still thumping bottom end. Great clarity, especially going for the JPJ/ Bad Co sound. Yet growling on the Sheehan stuff.
Early days but I like them. If only I could shave 3 inches off the width of the Carvin :blush:

This amp is loud as hell, similar in volume to the Terror Bass I reckon (at 4 ohms anyway as it doesn't have the magic 8-ohm full power switch). I've been wading through the TB megathreads on this head and the general consensus is the 500W is a very honest rating and it uses the same power section that some manufacturers use in their '900W' amps (e.g. the Genz Streamliner 900). The TH350 was said to have the same modules as the GK MB500 too, so the TH500 is likely to match the MB800.

Only issue I am having with the one I've just bought is that the fans kick on at full blast after 15 minutes of low volume use, making it unbearable for solo practice. Plenty say they can't hear their fans, just trying to decide if I should try a replacement, or if they are just deaf and I should get a refund!

Edited by dannybuoy

I can only speak from my experience.
The feeling I got in yesterday's conditions were that the particular TH 500 I was using through an Aguilar 1 x 12 was taking a lot of gain and master to get anywhere near gig volume.
That concerned me more than enough to rethink.

For practice into an 8ohm cab, I have the gain at 12, and the master at 9... if you assume
the volume off is at 6 on a clock face.
Live I will use 2 8ohms 12's and I am sure it will be loud enough.
I play lightly so I don't get the most out of amps, compared to some
so I expect to run at 12 plus 12 on the dials....which is the same as
my old Thunderfunk which was rated at 550w.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1412203694' post='2566824']
Yup, correct pad used.
All I can say is that the 2 Markbass cabs I'm now using have been a revelation live, compared to my B/F S12V.
[/quote]

They are great cabs. I had one then moved it on. I borrowed one for a gig Saturday and angled it up with the little Markbass tilt-back-device-thing and it was easily cutting through two guitars and drums. They have a serious amount of clean low mids and bottom for little cabs too!