Why become a member? ×

Quiet amp.

tom1946

Hiya,
seems a bit of a daft statement but playing in a church can be noisy, we usually have about 20 mins of absolute quiet while the Minister talks. The problem is the humming noise that comes from having a small amount of gain on. Are all amps like this? For instance we were out last night using my TC electronics 1x 15 combo again with the gain on about quarter and the volume quite high.

So am I doing anything wrong with settings? Or is there a quieter amp that doesn't buzz when you put a bit of gain on?

I realise this is a unique problem but there must be a way round it.

thanks!

I got no hum or buzz from my Markbass in church.
Could be a dodgy lead?
Unplug the instrument lead from the amp & see if it stops.
If not, try a different mains lead. If that doesn't work, test your combo in a different building (like your house). This way you can find out if it's the church wiring.
If you still get buzz or hum after all that, take the combo back. It's faulty.

You shouldn't need to touch the volume. If you unplug everything going into it first (other than the mains lead), then if there's no noise, you can try another bass on the instrument lead or try another lead.
If it's your bass(es), then you could check the shielding under the pick up & that it's earthed ok to the bridge.

I could, but it's a faff on when trying to sit down so the service can carry on.

So, I think I have a solution, I changed my cable for an OBBM one I forgot I had and got an immediate cut in the gain buzz. So I tried a few different kettle leads and bingo! down to an acceptable level.

Just to add that when I unplugged my bass cable the noise stopped dead, I've never known a cable make such a huge difference.
I'm fairly new to all this as I played a 12 string guitar since the mid 60's, that was much easier to amp up ;)

Edited by tom1946