Why become a member? ×

Very Frustrating

timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1410806440' post='2553430']
Perhaps i should have used the Trombone as an example, but i still think reading music is advantageous over just reading tab.
[/quote]

I'd be the last to suggest anything else..! Music theory is a subject applicable to all instruments, and it's an advantage to read several staffs; the more the merrier. I was just remerking that reading for bass alone is not the be-all and end-all to reading. The world is larger than that. This is a Good Thing. :)[size=4] [/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410806791' post='2553440']
I'd be the last to suggest anything else..! Music theory is a subject applicable to all instruments, and it's an advantage to read several staffs; the more the merrier. I was just remerking that reading for bass alone is not the be-all and end-all to reading. The world is larger than that. This is a Good Thing. :)
[/quote]Of course, you are right. Anyway, i will learn whatever the new tutor throws at me, hopefully

I really appreciate your willing to learn reading notes, and I absolutely don't want to make you loosing your courage but...
Learning any instrument from trombone to digeridoo to bongos to piano, etc needs time, study and application.
So beliveing you can do it in two or three months is a ridiculous dream (unless you are Mozart).
However good luck with the reading.
Best

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1410810082' post='2553498']

So beliveing you can do it in two or three months is a ridiculous dream (unless you are Mozart).
However good luck with the reading.
Best
[/quote] Not sure where i said i believe i could do it in 3 or 4 months. Been trying to learn it for a few months and got basics, but i am so faraway from mastering the subject. I would imagine it will take me 6 months more to have some sort of decent grasp on it.
Thanks for wishing me good luck though :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410806791' post='2553440']
...bass alone is not the be-all and end-all to reading. The world is larger than that...
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that there may be more to life than bass guitars and arguing with people on the internet about which bass guitar is best?... preposterous... :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1411047413' post='2555916']
Are you suggesting that there may be more to life than bass guitars and arguing with people on the internet about which bass guitar is best?... preposterous... :mellow:
[/quote]

Good gracious, no..! The very idea..! Doesn't bear thinking about. Where's my brain soap..? I feel soiled, somehow. Whatever next, eh..? :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411047751' post='2555920']
Good gracious, no..! The very idea..! Doesn't bear thinking about. Where's my brain soap..? I feel soiled, somehow. Whatever next, eh..? :mellow:
[/quote]

Yes quite right... thought I was going to have to march you round to BC HQ for reconditioning there for a minute... :mellow:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1411047823' post='2555922']
Yes quite right... thought I was going to have to march you round to BC HQ for reconditioning there for a minute... :mellow:
[/quote]

No, no, not the HQ again..! I've still got the scars from the last time. Please don't tell Ped, please..! The very thought makes my... No, that's too personal. I'll go now. I shan't make a fuss. No, no need for that; I'll go quietly.

([i]Makes a bolt for the stable door; it doesn't work. A horse gallops out[/i]...)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1410783590' post='2553020']
Because some people want to learn more than they would learn on their own.

Go to the new guy while he's still teaching and get the most out of it that you can.When those lessons end, it could be worth
looking further afield. It's worth traveling for a good teacher.
[/quote]

Spot on, I rarely have any lessons but when I do I book in for a 3 hour slot and leave with a whole bunch of new ideas on what to improve on etc...

I've had teachers that while technically good (and I think they're good teachers) that just don't work for me. I've had one who leaves me inspired everytime and I'll travel a good 2 hours to see him :)

I would stick with him and ask his reccomendation for a new one.
Surely, he'll have some contacts for you.
As for whether a teacher is a good idea or not, i would say it is. Definitely. If you want to improve quicker.
There are some great lessons online. Scotts are good. Marlowes videos are great.
But the one thing they cant do, is correct you.
Correct your positioning, or form or technique or anything really.
You may be trying to learn a piece, and get stuck at a point and not know why.
If your with a teacher, they can point out where your going wrong.
And any questions you may have can be answered.
Feedback. Its essential to progression IMO (not the bad type of feedback :rolleyes: )

Edited by FuNkShUi

Had my first lesson with the new teacher. What a difference it makes to having a guitarist who dabbles in Bass, and a proper Bassist who studied it at University makes. I have had my whole posture and technique changed in 1 lesson, and easy tips to learn the notes on the fretboard. Well worth the 70 mile roundtrip.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1411049695' post='2555960']
Had my first lesson with the new teacher. What a difference it makes to having a guitarist who dabbles in Bass, and a proper Bassist who studied it at University makes. I have had my whole posture and technique changed in 1 lesson, and easy tips to learn the notes on the fretboard. Well worth the 70 mile roundtrip.
[/quote]

ta-da! :)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1410783590' post='2553020']

Because some people want to learn more than they would learn on their own.

Go to the new guy while he's still teaching and get the most out of it that you can.When those lessons end, it could be worth
looking further afield. It's worth traveling for a good teacher.
[/quote]

Totally agree with this. There is only so much your own brain can come up with and music is about communicating and interacting with other musicians, so why would you want to learn alone or watching a video that only works one way?

I must admit I do enjoy Janek Gwizdala's videos as I find his concepts relate to my playing quite a lot but I wouldn't rely on them (and I do wish he'd record the bass directly so I don't have to listen to him scatting along :-P). As for Scott's bass lessons, I think I am the only person on Basschat who doesn't like them. He seems to ramble a bit through his videos (whether that's a lesson, product review or interview - his recent one with Chris may, he spends most of it contributing random thoughts or talking over Chris whilst he's talking about something important... Oh and when watching the video review he did of his own signature overwater model, his mobile goes off!) and (for me) his lessons never really seem to go anywhere... *runs and hides*

Edited by skej21