Why become a member? ×

Philips Golden Ears Challenge

ras52

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1410528013' post='2550413']
This is like a simplified version of the Critical Listening course from Belfast uni that you can do online.
[/quote]

I started that, but in the end there were just too many exercises for me to fit it in to the rest of my life. Pity, as I was finding it useful for mixing recordings. Some pretty tough exercises - trying to pick out a 1dB lift at 12kHz (especially with my hearing being how it is these days).

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1410528847' post='2550428']
I started that, but in the end there were just too many exercises for me to fit it in to the rest of my life. Pity, as I was finding it useful for mixing recordings. Some pretty tough exercises - trying to pick out a 1dB lift at 12kHz (especially with my hearing being how it is these days).
[/quote]

Exactly the same for me too. 3 hours a week sounds like nothing, until you actually try to do something.

EDIT: and 300 listening exercises per week got really tiring!!

Also, trying to pick out a 1dB boost at 12kHz with a screaming toddler in the background proved too difficult... :lol:

Edited by bartelby

Just gone through the Basic Level challenge and the one I had some difficulty with was noise, probably due to my loss of high frequencies (interestingly I picked up an increase in treble content to tell me which was which). Might keep the page open and try the other tests another time.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1410544638' post='2550663']
I got through to Golden [s]balls[/s] ears but then my head fell off :huh:
[/quote]

:lol: me too, ripped through the other three and now I can't get through the freq cut/boost section. My head's falling off as well so the only solution is a glass of wine and some Longbottom Leaf.