Why become a member? ×

Calling all woodgrain experts

Guest MoJo

I bought a P bass copy yesterday, claimed to have been made in the 70's. It bears the brand name Craftsman. The body is solid wood, thankfully, not ply. I removed the neck and took a photo of the grain. Can anyone identify what wood it is?

http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/20140830_113816_zps28mpjuin.jpg

Beech wood grain:

There's a bit of variety in [url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mahogany+wood+grain+pattern&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4ewBVJeHEcua0QXJ24GwAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1242&bih=585"]mahogany[/url]

My guess is beech. That was my first thought when I saw it.

Edited by Grangur

Looks very much more like mahogany, similar tight grain to beech but mahogany has more grain figuring - and much more likely in a 70s build. If you blag a drop of teak oil off a joiner/wood yard and put a bit on it you'll see the shimmer off the grain, even on that patch, beech doesn't do that.

I would reckon it's painted because it's probably made from more than one piece glued together. Still a solid block but the paint will cover up the join lines.

If I had a solid lump of mahogany big enough for a whole guitar body, the last thing I'd want to do is paint it.

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1409416689' post='2539551']
I would reckon it's painted because it's probably made from more than one piece glued together. Still a solid block but the paint will cover up the join lines.

If I had a solid lump of mahogany big enough for a whole guitar body, the last thing I'd want to do is paint it.
[/quote]

Probably this ;)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1409420775' post='2539594']
My old Antoria is a butchers block of mahogany:

[attachment=170475:Antoria Jazz 1975 06.JPG]
[/quote]

Lovely :)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1409428347' post='2539673']
I think my kitchen chopping board is a nice big hunk of sapele - every time I look at it I imagine it being used to make a bass body from :D
[/quote]

If it's good enough for Martin & Co, it should be good enough for a bass

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='Bradwell' timestamp='1409416689' post='2539551']

[/quote]

+1 on the timber being glued together. Having pieces glued together helps the timber from moving too much (cupping and bowing etc)

It's probably Mahogany. My other thought was sapele but there are machining issues with sapele that a more budget guitar company might not want to handle. Definitely not beech, the way the grain has lifted and the ragging round the screw holes IMO discounts that.

For cost reasons it's also probably glued, even then large chunks of wood fetched a premium.

Steve