Why become a member? ×

1984 fender precision USA

chrisanthony1211

I've been doing some research and with the truss in the headstock could this be a 57 reissue? if it doesnt have a V in the serial number does that mean its not vintage, the serial is E310717, ive been trying to make sence of the Fender dating web page but not sure, were they only making reissues in 84 at Fullerton??? how would i tell if its a 57 reissue?

Ive been to have a look and I can tell you it is immaculate, it could pass for new, black body, white pick guard, beautiful glossy maple neck. I got the history mixed up with another P bass I been looking at. This one was owned by a collector who died, his family then sold all his basses. The bloke bought it thinking he would renew his passion but it never happened for him. This looks like it has spent 30 years in its case, it may not be a V reissue but it looks a quality instrument, I'm very temped, there can't be many 30 year old precisions in this condition. It needed a good set up and some new strings but looks like new!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1408562089' post='2531426']
lozz it depends on what type of fullerton 84 p bass it is

if it is a 62 vintage reissue then yes its a bargain

if instead it is a bog standard p bass with head truss rod, then £900 is about ok
[/quote]

Ah, got you Gareth. If anyone should know you`re the one, given the seemingly endless flow of great Precisions that you seem to have.

Well I took the plunge, paid a little more than I wanted but bought this, it looks as though it came out of the factory yesterday not 30 years ago, there is not a mark on it, I think it's even got the original strings on it! It even has the guarantee and inspection card from the factory. It also has absolute killer tone, photos below

s1161.photobucket.com/user/chrisanthony1211/library/AER%20clone/Clone%20mk%202/Fender%20precision%20USA%201984?sort=3&page=1

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1408825661' post='2533899']
This may be a silly question, but if these are the original strings is it worth hanging onto them should I decide to sell in the future?
[/quote]
No not really

Well at the moment it smells of polish! I think I'm gonna put some some chromes on this baby later today!
I was looking to buy this and move it on, but I'm so impressed with my first precision that it looks as though my Status s2 classic may have to go instead, unless I can convince that wife that two basses are better than one!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

That sounds like a decent price for it really - a 1990s/2000s USA Fender will set you back about £600-£700 nowadays, so as long as its decent condition and you're happy with it, that's a perfectly good price for a guitar with a bit of history too!

I had a similar aged Japanese Stratocaster about 10 years ago (think i worked it out as 1985/6) and it was great. Stupidly flogged it for £200 in a moment of financial despair. Don't ask....!

Precision basses are brilliant tho - really simple, really effective and they look great.

Enjoy playing it sir!