Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz GBE 750

niceguyhomer

Thanks Steve - they've got the Neopak and the GBE 750 on Basstasters so I can compare them on there. I've demoed an F1 and TBH, couldn't hear £150 of improvement over the LMII but they are amazing little units. I really liked the R500 but I keep reading wonderful stuff about the GBE 750 - plus I'm assuming it would buddy up well with my NEOX 212T.

Al, is there something about the GB750 which you prefer over say the Shuttle 6.0? I know the Shuttle doesn't go to 2ohms which is a bit of a bugger for me but I'd only then need to carry a second 4ohm cab anyway which kind of defeats the object of having a light weight rig...

...I suspect if the GB Neopak and Shuttle sound pretty similar, theres a chance the GB750 will be consistent too. The Mark Bass heads I played were clear and slightly warmer than the Neopak, however I thought the midrange was firmer and better defined in the Neopak. There wasn't a lot in it tbh, deciding whether to use a neo cab or not might make the differences negligible to most people.

I decided to go for a neo cab and the Shuttle because the Smith likes an amp with firm mid-range.

Never really thought about the Shuttle. Reading about all the availability problems and comments about their sound - 'nasal' seems to crop up a bit. I like the sound of the 750 on Basstasters and as I'm just off to Brum for the day - I may give Mark a call en route and leave the missus shopping in Brum while I demo a few amps assuming Mark's about today.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='248276' date='Jul 26 2008, 09:08 AM']Never really thought about the Shuttle. Reading about all the availability problems and comments about their sound - 'nasal' seems to crop up a bit. I like the sound of the 750 on Basstasters and as I'm just off to Brum for the day - I may give Mark a call en route and leave the missus shopping in Brum while I demo a few amps assuming Mark's about today.[/quote]

Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. All I'll say is that I've spent the last week running all my basses including the Alembic, Celinder J, Celinder P (with flats), Musicman Stingray, Cutlass 1 and Cutlass 2 and both Smiths. So I probably have a reasonable idea about how the amp responds to each type of bass. If someone is used to playing an Ashdown then yes the Shuttle is probably going to sound nasal to them, especially if they have a nasal sounding bass.

I've found a tighter sounding head works better for me on small stages with the warm basses I play. I've gigged the Shuttle and it doesn't sound any less legible on stage than my Trace V8! You can definitely make the Shuttle sound warm with the Celinder P if you want to using the mid scoop and low boost feature.

Trying some out at Marks place is exactly what I did, I recommend you take your cab and #1 bass with you so you can make a direct comparison. :)

I had one for a few weeks. Great sounding amp, lots of features and very well built. It's got a great tone... the ability to blend tube and solid state channels is very useful, and it's very reasonably priced compared to Mesa, Aguilar, etc.

However...

I had an issue where, regardless of what cab and cables used, and location, it hummed and buzzed like an angry bee unless I stood about five feet away.

All four of my Fenders did it, something which hasn't happened before or since with any other amp.

Genz, and their UK distributor, were brilliant and tried everything to sort it out. But, when they sent a replacement head and it did exactly the same thing, I had to throw the towel in.

I was gutted, because it would have been a keeper...

I was very very tempted by the GBE750 - but there is no getting past the 30lbs - nearer 40 by the time is in a case. Liked it a lot and the tube made it quite a bit warmer than my EBS HD350 without sacrificing any of the clarity.

I went for the Shuttle 6 cos of the weight. I A/B'd it compared to my 350 before I sold it. The EBS had a bit more sparkle, and the tube on the Shuttle made it a bit warmer and a nice tube distortion was only a click or two away, apart from that not a lot in it.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='248343' date='Jul 26 2008, 10:47 AM']I guess it's personal choice / preference but what's turned you off the R500? Everyone on here will have an opinion in; and if you find a GB 750 owner I'm sure that they will have lots of positive things to say.

The thing to do, is to try out what's in your price range and consider what you want to do with it and give it a go, ideally over a period of time - As WOT points out living with a piece of gear can be far different from listening in the showroom. When you're nearly decided post again and ask the 'So what's a (insert make and model here) like to own?' question to narrow down your choices - happy hunting.[/quote]

Thanks HFB, I still have the R500 uppermost in my mind - it ticked all the boxes for me when I tried one. I'm just keeping my options open I guess and not having heard a GBE 750, I wondered what other people thought of them before taking it any further.

As it happens, I was in Brum yesterday and rang Mark to see if I could try one while I was in the area but his phone went to ansafone.

No hurry to change and I'm not buying anything again without trying - I've learned that lesson.

I loved the tone of the Aggie DB750 but it wasn't that great for slap and it does weigh the same as a Sherman tank!

I knew Mark at BassDirect had a GBE750 in stock and as usual he was brilliant and let me bring it home for a spin - it's still here! I am considering trading it for a GBE1200 which is just ridiculous but as I do this stuff for fun I really don't give a monkeys! I've decided weight is good!( I don't gig very often)

They are great amps, very sturdy build and they look great. They have a tube channel and a Fet channel and you can mix the two (using the included foot pedal if required).

Tone-wise I can say that the GBE750 is capable of a wide range of tones but I prefer to have an old school type tone which the amp can produce but not quite as fat as the Aggie - the up side of the compromise is in the slap tone which is as good as any amp I've heard imho. I don't do overdrive or any of that stuff so can't comment. The 750 is loud so don't ask me why I want a 1200 - I can't answer that without reverting to a childish 'I just DO' :huh:

I've been playing it through my Epi 212 nyc and it sounds great with a Skjold 5 and even better with a Celinder Precision('KING amazing bass :) ) which I found some amps couldn't do so overall I think it suits very nicely.

I had to smirk a bit when I found the 'Made in Taiwan' stamp on the front underside of the casing where you really would have to be looking hard to find it. No problem for me and as you know I've been through a few amps.........

Personally I just couldn't love the Markbass LMII apart from it's amazing weight but for whatever reason I just felt that it didn't produce the oomff I like in my tone. It'll be interesting to try the Shuttle6 but I have a feeling it won't be the same as the heavy-iron?

You know you are always welcome to come down for a try - maybe we could meet at Marks place as I'm on leave after Tuesday for 3 weeks - woohoo!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='248832' date='Jul 27 2008, 11:18 AM']Nowt wrong with it being made in the Far East, I just thought they were American through and through ^_^[/quote]
So did I. Designed and inspected in the USA though. Thats why they are so (comparatively) cheap.

I've not tried the GBE750,but have been using the Neo Pak 350 for the last six months. I find the tone to be very clean and uncoloured,and very responsive.I'm guessing the 750 will be similar. I personally prefered the Genz Benz over the Mark Bass heads in a back to back comparison-both were great though.
You should totally give the GBE750 a try,but also check out the Shuttle.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='248276' date='Jul 26 2008, 09:08 AM']Never really thought about the Shuttle. Reading about all the availability problems and comments about their sound - 'nasal' seems to crop up a bit.[/quote]

I did originally say nasal in my first impressions but now i've changed bass my shuttle is anything but