Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton?

There are quite a lot of people selling HBs on ebay for the new price or more. There's one shop that seems to list HB instruments for prices higher than new. Discussed here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240288-thomann-reseller/page__p__2492261__hl__harley%20benton__fromsearch__1#entry2492261"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2492261[/url]

I've only played a couple of USA Fenders, and they all played really nicely. If those claims of HBs matching USA Fenders were true, I'd be having one.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I asked him if it was a Harley, and got this response:

"[color=#000][font=arial,sans-serif][size=2]Hi and thanks for the inquiry . I am a guitarist really not a bass player. all the information you need about the bass is in my listing. the headstock is round but not exactly a fender shape,,,a friend of mine who plays bass professionally set it up for me there is No logo on.. Im no expert on these things but my friend valuabley informs me that the vast majority of guitars nowadays are all made in China. as are fender squires. so basically you are paying for a guitar made in china with a fender logo on.The majoraty of shops now import guitars from china and put thier own brand on. it dosnt interest me where a guitar is made as long as it plays good personally. There are literally hundreds of shops on ebay selling guitars made in china for 3 times what you could buy them for... theres a guy who sells Gibson replicas imported from china with the logo on for £400.Cash generator regularly sell replica guitars ect I was in there yesterday and they had a Fender precision bass exact replica for £300 apparently they have started importing them. as a collector and player I have a few real fenders myself .the squire one made in china plays better than my usa strat go figure eh...but wouldn't pay that much again personally.each to their own i suppose.
If you can find a good guitar cheap then I suggest you just buy it and not the bass I'm selling its that simple. or maybe buy yourself a Fender jazz if you can afford one."[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1407355586' post='2519807']
I asked him if it was a Harley, and got this response:

"[color=#000][font=arial,sans-serif][size=2]Hi and thanks for the inquiry . I am a guitarist really not a bass player. all the information you need about the bass is in my listing. the headstock is round but not exactly a fender shape,,,a friend of mine who plays bass professionally set it up for me there is No logo on.. Im no expert on these things but my friend valuabley informs me that the vast majority of guitars nowadays are all made in China. as are fender squires. so basically you are paying for a guitar made in china with a fender logo on.The majoraty of shops now import guitars from china and put thier own brand on. it dosnt interest me where a guitar is made as long as it plays good personally. There are literally hundreds of shops on ebay selling guitars made in china for 3 times what you could buy them for... theres a guy who sells Gibson replicas imported from china with the logo on for £400.Cash generator regularly sell replica guitars ect I was in there yesterday and they had a Fender precision bass exact replica for £300 apparently they have started importing them. as a collector and player I have a few real fenders myself .the squire one made in china plays better than my usa strat go figure eh...but wouldn't pay that much again personally.each to their own i suppose.
If you can find a good guitar cheap then I suggest you just buy it and not the bass I'm selling its that simple. or maybe buy yourself a Fender jazz if you can afford one."[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I was not looking to buy it, but if I were that would be enough for me not to bother. What a cock.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1407558392' post='2521775']
I'll swap the cornflakes for a Gear4Music acoustic bass with the neck snapped in three places, but only if you've removed the branding and am claiming that it's as good as an Ovation.
[/quote]
OK, may as well get AT to send the cornflakes straight to you, it will save me the postage....... Just put the G4M Bass in an envelope!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1407674485' post='2522809']
So, is this the same one relisted, or has the seller started a production line?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASH-JAZZ-BASS-MAPLE-NECK-VINTAGE-ALNICO-PICKUPS-HD-VIDEO-DEMO-CLASSIC-SOUND-/161390944148?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2593a65f94"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2593a65f94[/url]
[/quote]

He must be buying them, sanding off the logo and selling them on, cheeky bugger, I've just emailed asking what make the bass is is LOL ;)

John

Well the guy selling it replied, see below :P

[quote][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]WOOD.. comes from Ash and Maple trees lol As stated in my listing this is an unbranded guitar. which is great for me as a musician I personally don't care what logo is on an instrument .i just want to play it if the quality is good. If your more interested in what make or brand a bass is I would suggest maybe buying a similar bass made from the same wood with similar quality pickups with a fender logo on but then your forking out over a grand. I have a freind who has played bass professionally for over 20 years and he personally prefers it to his similar jazz bass with a Make on that he payed £800 for . I learned early on in my career that 2 bits of wood put together with strings on to make music do not automatically become magical to play with a fancy expensive logo on.I sold an old fender strat copy worth 80 quid straight after buying my first USA strat....I regret selling that cheap strat to this day .. and don't play my Fender that much anyhow after getting another few decent strat copies. It all depends whats more important to you man..overall quality of a guitar or what make it is..I never look at the headstock when Im playing..I'm too busy getting into the vibe...Thanks for the interest hope that helps. Kind Regards[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1407687629' post='2523026']
Well the guy selling it replied, see below :P
[/quote]

Again, what a cock.

I'd reply by saying while I agree with the sentiment, if the 'unbranded' bass he is selling is one I could buy quite a bit cheaper elsewhere without the logo rubbed off I'd not be best pleased.

Looking at the headstock I'd say that's almost certainly a Harley Benton '75 Jazz with a 100% mark up.

Edited by cameltoe

Couldn't resist....

Hi as stated in the listing it says Unbranded which means it has no brand no make on it. I will amend the listing so it is clearer. The pickups DO have a brand on them which says wilkinson,..If your interested in Brands I would personally recommend that you buy a bass made from similar wood with a similar sound with an expensive logo and price tag on it maybe a fender. if you can spare over a grand!!! personally whatever writing is on a a guitars headstock is of no importance whatsoever to me as a musician.,so its all about your preference really and experience.. Brands or good sounding instruments.An expensive logo on a guitar will NEVER guarantee you a wonderful instrument or add any magic to it..neither will it make you play any better .....that's practice and natural talent... tone comes from your fingers..hope that helps mate Kind Regards

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1407766461' post='2523735']
Hi as stated in the listing ...If your interested in Brands I would personally recommend that you buy a bass made from similar wood with a similar sound with an expensive logo and price tag on it maybe a fender. if you can spare over a grand!!![/quote]

Alternatively you could buy an identical bass made from identical wood and with an identical sound with a cheap logo on the headstock and a price tag of about 50% less, maybe a Harley Benton. If you can spare a ton!!!!