Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton?

If people are happy to part with their money for these basses then who are we to say that's wrong? No one is stopping them from shopping around.

Perhaps he's discovered that people are willing to pay more for something unbranded than something with a perceived 'cheap' brand. Perhaps he's actually increasing the value - value is, after all, only what someone is willing to pay - by removing the logo.

Edited by Sharkfinger

Sharkfinger's on to something there.

Few months back a lad in Paisley was selling an unbranded fretless on ebay starting at £50,no takers. Re-listed it the next week £150. 3 bids 1st day.

Folks are so wrapped up with fashion and brand names they're like sheep ready for a fleecing.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1412202126' post='2566812']
Maybe you should take the 3 pointed star off your Merc then...I reckon it will sell in 5 minutes! ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha, I wondered if someone would mention that!

Actually, you are kind of on the right track. The car manufacturer 'Lada' might have done well to take their name off their newer models because of the perceived 'cheapness' of their brand.

Edited by Sharkfinger

You'd think that Thomann would put the price up if they can be sold for a premium. I suppose that an organisation such as Thomann has people working for it who carefully consider prices and work out what is the right price for each instrument.

I wonder if that ebonol fretless neck would fit into a Harley Benton jazz body. Not seriously, but the thought did cross my mind.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1423600069' post='2686956']
I wonder how much this will go for...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Benton-electro-acoustic-bass-guitar-/181663955186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4c03f8f2"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a4c03f8f2[/url]
[/quote]

I wonder if it has a little "D" stamp at the heel of the neck....?

I don't remember seeing a CE sticker on mine.

The sticker on the ebay bass is suspiciously placed. However, the D stamp on my deko and also the stamps I've seen on photos of other people's dekos have minor cracks around them much larger than that sticker. It could be that there's a very neat and tidy 'D' underneath that sticker. However, my belief is probably over 50/50 that there isn't.