Why become a member? ×

Greenburst ACG 4 string

charic

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delays for those following this thread, fulltime work really does leave a lack of spare time so I have just been a lurker for a while and not really had time to post.

So heres a few updates ive received from Alan lately:

The mac ebony fretboard slotted:
[attachment=16677:fretboardslotted.jpg]

and the neck together

[attachment=16678:Neck_together.jpg]

Body now looking like a bass, this was in my dreams for a few days :)

[attachment=16679:Cut_to_shape.jpg]

And now the roundovers done:

[attachment=16680:Roundovers.jpg]

It really is nice to see things coming together! Can't wait to play what will undoubtedly be my dream bass!
Alan really is great for passing on progress reports etc aswell, highly recommended so far!

Wow this is gonna be very nice. In that I know it'll look nice but...

Being an ex Harlot owner with my new one in the pipeline looks aint everything because as well as looking stupendous it's gonna sound awsome, balance, have a great neck and just be generally all round amazing in terms of quality of construction, ergonomics etc.

Mine's not far off and I'm excited in case you can't tell :)

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry about the incompleteness of this build thread, im well behind on it due to lack of er... internet at home. Currently stealing the GF's lappy but dont tell her! A few pics for now, will fill in the blanks probably next week when internet comes to my flat! Waaaay.

Anyways heres the most important updates... Colour!

First the body got sprayed green as opposed to staining.

[attachment=26500:Light_green.jpg]

This was a fair bit lighter than either me or Alan were looking for unfortunately and the amount of coats needed to get a bright colour would have created a risk of the lacquer cracking.

At the same time the neck got masked off and the stringers and headstock got sprayed.
[attachment=26499:Green_Neck.jpg]

The green on the stringers is beautiful IMO, however the headstock will probably have to be adjusted to match the body the stringers cannot be stained as it will bleed into the wenge.

So body got sanded (after setting ofcourse), and after Alans hardwork and sanding the body got stained

[attachment=26501:Staingreen.jpg]

This was a fair bit darker than I expected, however after a few coats of finish the backplate looked like this:

[attachment=26498:Backplate.jpg]

Im gobsmacked.

All i can say is that this finish has surpassed all expectations I ever had and im now itching to get this bass into my hands!

[quote name='charic' post='505143' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:38 PM']Sorry about the incompleteness of this build thread, im well behind on it due to lack of er... internet at home. Currently stealing the GF's lappy but dont tell her! A few pics for now, will fill in the blanks probably next week when internet comes to my flat! Waaaay.

Anyways heres the most important updates... Colour!

First the body got sprayed green as opposed to staining.

[attachment=26500:Light_green.jpg]

This was a fair bit lighter than either me or Alan were looking for unfortunately and the amount of coats needed to get a bright colour would have created a risk of the lacquer cracking.

At the same time the neck got masked off and the stringers and headstock got sprayed.
[attachment=26499:Green_Neck.jpg]

The green on the stringers is beautiful IMO, however the headstock will probably have to be adjusted to match the body the stringers cannot be stained as it will bleed into the wenge.

So body got sanded (after setting ofcourse), and after Alans hardwork and sanding the body got stained

[attachment=26501:Staingreen.jpg]

This was a fair bit darker than I expected, however after a few coats of finish the backplate looked like this:

[attachment=26498:Backplate.jpg]

Im gobsmacked.

All i can say is that this finish has surpassed all expectations I ever had and im now itching to get this bass into my hands![/quote]

Am liking it son! Very nice!!

Nick

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='505228' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:56 AM']That cover plate is quite something. If one things for sure its that you can't be sure what the finish will look like until it's finished :)[/quote]

How true! I cant wait to see the full body fully finished. Ive actually transferred the pics to my phone for viewing pleasure.

Doc, I have to agree.. I'll hopefully have my not so grubby mitts on this relatively soon, so I'll bring it up for a noodle when I get a chance. Maybe youll add an acg to your huge collection at somepoint :rolleyes: