Why become a member? ×

The Who.

bubinga5

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1403999088' post='2488495']
I've got the 12" of that song. I have the poster that came with it on my music room wall.

I should perhaps mention that it's the W.A.S.P. version...

Please don't throw things at me!
[/quote]

I love that version.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1403998456' post='2488492']
I've been listening to a lot of these guys, and I've got to say the drumming is amazing. of course the music is fantastic. this track is just…..
[/quote]

Aye, they've been my favourite for something like the last 15 years. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here whose playing style is influenced by / lovingly ripped off from the Ox.

And yeah, the drumming - I know a lot of drummers hate Keith Moon, but he had a style, even if it was a style with little-to-no discipline. Dangerous stuff though: once you start to appreciate it, you'll find more conventional "rock" drummers a bit boring to listen to!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1404030128' post='2488555']
Aye, they've been my favourite for something like the last 15 years. I'm sure I'm not the only person on here whose playing style is influenced by / lovingly ripped off from the Ox.

And yeah, the drumming - I know a lot of drummers hate Keith Moon, but he had a style, even if it was a style with little-to-no discipline. Dangerous stuff though: once you start to appreciate it, you'll find more conventional "rock" drummers a bit boring to listen to!
[/quote]i really dig his style. the guy was mental, and that comes across in his drumming. he's no billy cobham, but thats what makes him more interesting. he's def not sterile.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1404080817' post='2489181']
i really dig his style. the guy was mental, and that comes across in his drumming. he's no billy cobham, but thats what makes him more interesting. he's def not sterile.
[/quote]I really like the clips on Youtube of The Who from 1964 when they were briefly called The High Numbers, I think the gig was at The Railway Hotel (should help you find it), as you get to see Keith Moon's drumming on a smaller kit and making a room full of people dance. Quite a tough RnB groove comes across from him on Jessie Hill's 'ooh pooh pah do' (spelling?). I guess he would have been about 17 at the time. The 1969 Kilburn gig that there is footage from shows more of the no hi hat style that he evolved into.

Edited by The fasting showman

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1404080817' post='2489181']
i really dig his style. the guy was mental, and that comes across in his drumming. he's no billy cobham, but thats what makes him more interesting. he's def not sterile.
[/quote]

Yeah, from reading his biography, it seems although he always called himself a "rock drummer," he basically wanted to be Gene Krupa but in a rock n' roll band. (Playing a lot of surf before joining The Who probably helped his crazy style as well.) Probably as a result, I've come to prefer the jazz-drummers-in-rock-bands over straightforward "rock" drummers - so I love the way Moon, Baker*, Mitchell, Densmore, etc relied on their bassist (or Manzarek's left hand) and took diabolical liberties with the beat, but I find e.g., Bonham a bit plodding and unimaginative by comparison**.

[size=3]*Right, I'm now going to have to wear a cricket box for the rest of my life in case Ginger Baker sees that I've put him and Keith Moon in the same sentence and tracks me down...[/size]
[size=3]** I was going to say "leaden," but I think that level of punnage might be a capital offence outside of OT[/size]