Why become a member? ×

Official Hot Rod Pickups (Wizard) News Thread

Hi Guys and Gals

As I have posted in other threads we have been lucky enough to continue the amazing work of Andy Blake at Wizard Pickups, He is now enjoying well earned retirement, We have taken on his equipment, stock and most importantly secret recipes! Our site is now live:

http://www.hot-rodpickups.com

Lots of video demos in production and footage of our launch last week, Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you need anything or just want to say hello, official release below if you would like to know a little more about myself and Dave Walsh:

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Out of the ashes of Wizard Pickups please welcome Hot Rod Pickups. We are continuing the legacy of Andy Blake of Wizard Pickups (now enjoying well earned retirement) manufacturing the same high quality product to his specification, using the same techniques and machinery, all of which have been mastered under Andy's tutelage. [/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Hot Rod although a new name to the market, is operated by Dave Walsh a[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial,]nd Jon Perry who both have a long history and vast experience in the guitar building and music industry.

Dave began his career in London’s Denmark Street where he trained as a Luthier in the early/mid ‘90s before working for Guitar & Bass Magazine as a product reviewer and Guitar Doctor Columnist. After relocating to the south coast in 2009, Dave set-up ‘Eternal Guitars’ and fast built up a great local reputation for his relic custom guitars and repair work. Recently and together with Jon Perry and finish expert Paul Ross, Eternal Guitars has moved to a new bespoke workshop on the outskirts of Chichester.

Jon although being a guitarist by trade (turned pro aged 17) has launched a series of successful businesses through the years ranging from music agencies, production companies, sound proof booth design and builds and even a dance agency (don’t ask). As well as this he has worked internationally as a performer, song writer, session artist, guitar tech and producer. Being a self confessed guitar geek, and having owned and played pretty much everything over the years, being able to spend his days creating tone to the highest level is a dream come true.[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Hot Rod (Wizard) Pickups' timestamp='1405076461' post='2498562']
Please check out our first of many bass pickup demos to come:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauV3Y2HpiE[/media]

Hot Rod Pickups
www.hot-rodpickups.com
[/quote]

Is that the 64 or 84? Both are mentioned... I suspect it's 64 but...

[quote name='Hot Rod (Wizard) Pickups' timestamp='1405365783' post='2501310']
Launch Party Video:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsDn0pN-1ac&feature=em-upload_owner"]https://www.youtube....em-upload_owner[/url]
[/quote]

had to rescan it a couple of times but found the thumper eventually

(2:45 ish for anybody who's lost the will to live after all that widdling) :ph34r: ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for radio silence got my wrists slapped for pushing the company on here, We do offer a full re-wind service at £30 per coil plus postage, The full Wizard range is available from us just drop me a mail with requirements, I am recording bass clips in the next week or so, apologies for al the 6 string w***ery :)

[email protected]

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, Sorry for the radio silence, We have been extremely busy and I have been welcoming a new baby daughter to the Hot Rod family :) Below is a quick comparison demo of our Thumper P Bass set by session ace Don Richardson, He describes them as "Its like having a blanket lifted off of my amp", Love to know what you guys think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjzgCdNLLlw

[quote name='Hot Rod (Wizard) Pickups' timestamp='1417619032' post='2622300']
Hi Guys, Sorry for the radio silence, We have been extremely busy and I have been welcoming a new baby daughter to the Hot Rod family :) Below is a quick comparison demo of our Thumper P Bass set by session ace Don Richardson, He describes them as "Its like having a blanket lifted off of my amp", Love to know what you guys think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjzgCdNLLlw
[/quote]

How close is this to the old wizard thumper? That was a great p'up, managed to sound warm and vintage like, with clarity and grind at the same time. I loved that p'up.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1417903737' post='2625042']
How close is this to the old wizard thumper? That was a great p'up, managed to sound warm and vintage like, with clarity and grind at the same time. I loved that p'up.
[/quote]

This is basically a Wizard Thumper, Same design and spec, Same winding machine, Same suppliers and tooling. Only difference is me or Dave winding, Andy at Wizard spent some time with us teaching his magic tricks of the trade also.

[quote name='Hot Rod (Wizard) Pickups' timestamp='1418048958' post='2626267']

This is basically a Wizard Thumper, Same design and spec, Same winding machine, Same suppliers and tooling. Only difference is me or Dave winding, Andy at Wizard spent some time with us teaching his magic tricks of the trade also.
[/quote]

Sweet!