Why become a member? ×

Letts Basses total customer service failure...

binky_bass

Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask anyone out there about their experiances with Jon of Letts Basses. Recently things have deteriorated between myself and Jon to the point I am forced to take court action against him to recover assest and money lost to him and his failure to complete a project within a reasonable time frame as well as a multitude of other issues.

Can anyone who has had dealings with Jon post a reply or PM about their experiances with him? Be it good or bad, I'd like a bit of a cross reference to see if he has treated me particularly poorly, or if simialr things or other things have caused other customers to be disillusioned by Jon.

I am aware that 4 other people have had to resort to sending Jon "Letters before Action", please let me know your thoughts, I think it is important to be impartial, but I am having a hard time doing so given the level of the service I have received.

I also think it is important for anyone considering a build with him to know what a true representation of Jon and his company, be it positive or negative. I might be part of a minority, but I would like some infomation from other customers if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Russ.

Edited by binky_bass

Very sorry to hear that Russ. I have a Letts bass that I love, but the build process was stressful. It took 10 months instead of the promised 4, and I did get several vague and misleading emails in the process. I generally apply steady, polite pressure in these circumstances, and it eventually paid off. That said, it was worth the wait in the end, as it is a fantastic instrument.
His website appears more professional, so maybe he's getting his act together.
Hope you get sorted swiftly.

I'm no legal expert - so this is just an IMHO - but it seems to be a case of breech of contract, whether written or verbal.

In your case I'd have just asked for PMs of feedback, good bad or indifferent. YMMV

Edited by Big_Stu

No dealings myself, but you may want to have a gander at this thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235450-has-anyone-got-a-current-contact-number-for-jon-letts-of-lettsbass/page__hl__letts - a fair few angry customers; unfortunately it sounds like the business has recently had a number of personal and financial problems which have set them back quite badly. I've no idea what the current situation is, but this may provide some insight.

(Edit: link fixed)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1403087876' post='2479563']
No dealings myself, but you may want to have a gander at this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235450-has-anyone-got-a-current-contact-number-for-jon-letts-of-lettsbass/page__hl__letts"]http://basschat.co.u...page__hl__letts[/url] - a fair few angry customers; unfortunately it sounds like the business has recently had a number of personal and financial problems which have set them back quite badly. I've no idea what the current situation is, but this may provide some insight.

(Edit: link fixed)
[/quote]

I was made aware of some personal issues by Jon, which cause delays, I was fine with this, but so far the build is 2 years behind scheduel, the cost has risen and the general customer service I am receiving is far from acceptable.

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1403087973' post='2479564']
I have amended the post to be more neutral.
[/quote]

I've done the same to mine so that bit's gone :i-m_so_happy:

FWIW - I had a custom bass built by the late John Birch. It took 7 months, was a scratch build and I made one change from the first commission. There were no price changes.

As some of you may be aware from previous threads, there have been several delays to a custom build I ordered from Jon in April 2013. The instrument I ordered was not part of any BC deal and was a regular order I placed after liking what I’d seen of his basses and being quoted a reasonable price and timescale.

A month or so back, after I had waited almost a year longer than the original quoted build time and been given several completion dates (all of which passed with absolutely no evidence of progress), my considerable patience with the issues surrounding the build ran out and I sort legal advice as to how to get the instrument finished, or how to recover my deposit.

I was advised to send a ‘Letter before Action’ giving a final chance for the instrument to be completed within a reasonable timeframe, along with details of my intended legal proceedings and evidence I would be presenting should the matter escalate.

I received a prompt reply and Jon agreed to the timescale (a further two months) and my bass is due on the 15[sup]th[/sup] of July… and I have to say I have seen considerable progress since I sent my letter. The body has now been glued up, carving is well underway and the pickups have been wound (see below) communication is also vastly improved and I’m being given regular updates.

[url="https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10387694_770432209655345_1627198543631043402_n.jpg"][/url]

As the neck has already been finished for some time, I am reasonably confident that I will eventually have the bass in my hands next month.

The whole process has been very frustrating but… credit where it is due, things have turned around in the last month and I’m pleased with how things are finally coming together.

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1403087973' post='2479564']
I have amended the post to be more neutral.
[/quote]

It's important that we stay strictly factual on a topic like this. Fingers are crossed for a happy outcome

You say "credit where credit is due", to me I would not give any credit to this situation, the fact of the matter is 4 users of this site, myself and camdenrob included have had to resort to sending letters before action to Jon to get him to agree to a completion date, some of us have been waiting 2 years past the original completion date. For an owner of a business to have to have a threat of court action looming over him before he actually commits to a completion date astounds me. there is no credit here, there is only credit to the patients of those who have waited so long for these orders to materialise.

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1403100865' post='2479763']
You say "credit where credit is due"... myself and camdenrob included have had to resort to sending letters before action
[/quote]

:lol: it was CamdenRob that said it ;)

Charic, no the specs hadn't changed, Jon original quote was £400 upfront and £400 on completion, though to my detriment in this situation he did not provide me with an invoice for this, despite me asking several times in the beginnings of this order 2 years ago. Does anyone have any advice they could lend to resolving this? Would anyone act as a mediator to help my situation out, court is the last thing I want to do, but Jon simply will not stick to his word. I would be very grateful to anyone who would review my particular situation and offer honest, impartial advice. I am not after a slanging match with Jon, all I want is what is owed.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190089-lettsbasses-basschat-special-the-winter-edition/page__st__210"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190089-lettsbasses-basschat-special-the-winter-edition/page__st__210[/url]

worth a thorough read, again all evidence is available on request.

Did it arrive?
[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403094083' post='2479659']
As some of you may be aware from previous threads, there have been several delays to a custom build I ordered from Jon in April 2013. The instrument I ordered was not part of any BC deal and was a regular order I placed after liking what I’d seen of his basses and being quoted a reasonable price and timescale.

A month or so back, after I had waited almost a year longer than the original quoted build time and been given several completion dates (all of which passed with absolutely no evidence of progress), my considerable patience with the issues surrounding the build ran out and I sort legal advice as to how to get the instrument finished, or how to recover my deposit.

I was advised to send a ‘Letter before Action’ giving a final chance for the instrument to be completed within a reasonable timeframe, along with details of my intended legal proceedings and evidence I would be presenting should the matter escalate.

I received a prompt reply and Jon agreed to the timescale (a further two months) and my bass is due on the 15[sup]th[/sup] of July… and I have to say I have seen considerable progress since I sent my letter. The body has now been glued up, carving is well underway and the pickups have been wound (see below) communication is also vastly improved and I’m being given regular updates.

[url="https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10387694_770432209655345_1627198543631043402_n.jpg"][/url]

As the neck has already been finished for some time, I am reasonably confident that I will eventually have the bass in my hands next month.

The whole process has been very frustrating but… credit where it is due, things have turned around in the last month and I’m pleased with how things are finally coming together.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm going to lock this down as "Under Review".[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Can anyone who would like to discuss this or any other case of the same nature please use the "Report" functionality on this post and I will PM them tomorrow[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Please note, locking this thread may or may not be a temporary measure. This is a safeguard for the current situation [/font][/color]