Why become a member? ×

NTD (new Tele day) Squier content

ezbass

Well this be my fifth Telecaster type and, as I don't play git-fiddle that much these days, maybe I'll actually hang on to this one. It's a Squier Classic Vibe 50s fitted with Alnico V pickups. I'm a huge P90 fan and was going to go for a Fender Modern Player Tele Thinline with P90s, but there's no denying the classic looks of the Squier and the pickups do sound like P90s tonally, just a little less output. The Thinline was super light and this one weighs in like a Les Paul, but on the strap it disappears; after all as a MM owning bass player I know what real weight is all about :) ! Anyway, without further ado.....

[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/c07d5e580131c3204ad5f59bf2b42663_zpseb944484.jpg[/IMG]

Great guitars these and very versatile - they just work on anything with those 3 pickup selections.

Ive had mine since January and recorded all sorts of tracks from quite rocky grungey. to clean instrumentals and it just works on them all.

Happy NGD!

I've been rediscovering some of my old country licks, particularly the solo from Shania Twain's 'When' which was played by Brent Mason I think. The only down side to all this is that I'm having to get used to having that slab poke me in the ribs all over again.

Looks nice!

I A/Bed one of these with a USA Standard a few weeks ago. I preferred the way the Standard sounded but they were a lot closer in feel & tone than I had expected. I think that the Squares are pine. It sounded a lot more "woody" if that makes sense. Great if you want a bit of lower-mid oomph over the clarity of the Std.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1402940039' post='2478125']
Looks nice!

I think that the Squiers are pine.
[/quote]Indeed it is; matches my wardrobe and various other items of household furniture (not sure that's such a good thing), sounds better though :)

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403032769' post='2479108']
I went to collect my bass from having new tuners fitted today, and left the shop with one of these as well!
[/quote]Ah the addictive qualities of a classic Tele, and at that price hard to resist; enjoy.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1403034410' post='2479127']
Ah the addictive qualities of a classic Tele, and at that price hard to resist; enjoy.
[/quote]

My one is second hand apparently, looks brand new to me, not a mark on it and it only cost me £199. Took all of five minutes playing to decide it was coming home with me.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403038364' post='2479198']
That was how I reacted when I tried it. Sorry to derail your thread, but here it is.
[/quote]Derail? Pah! It's all good, it's also your NTD too :) Nice grain on that puppy.

The necks on these CV tele's do have a pretty thick and sticky gloss finish on them. I gave mine a good rub down with a scotchbrite pad and it plays beatifully now and less drag - although it may be a bit upsetting to do on such a lovely looking neck, I do recommend this mod for a playability point of view.

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1403091975' post='2479626']
The necks on these CV tele's do have a pretty thick and sticky gloss finish on them. I gave mine a good rub down with a scotchbrite pad and it plays beatifully now and less drag - although it may be a bit upsetting to do on such a lovely looking neck, I do recommend this mod for a playability point of view.
[/quote]

I found the finish on the neck to be fine, and when I tried it it was 26 degrees outside and my mitts were very sticky and clammy. Even so, I didn't find my hand sticking to the back of the neck as much as I thought I would, it plays like butter. I've recently found a new love for gloss necks though, my P Bass has the glossiest of necks and I really enjoy play it as well.