Why become a member? ×

Bitsas and The One

Telebass

For a good while over the last two years, I was doing a lot of chopping and changing of basses. Early on in that period, the neck on my MIM Precision broke. I replaced it with an all - but - unused Allparts Jazz neck, all maple, black blocks and binding. I got it from a fellow Basschatter, and it's a lovely neck.
That experience led me to getting basses and mixing up the parts to see what worked. The best result from all this was a Squier P body wearing an American Special Jazz neck. However, a need for cash prompted me to reassemble and sell the American Special Jazz.
My other current fetish is blocks and binding. I have the neck mentioned above, a Kingman electro-acoustic (blocked and bound) and a Squier VM77 Jazz neck incoming (all maple, white blocks/binding). This neck will hopefully go on the Squier P body and become my main gigging bass. The Allparts neck will return to the black MIM P whence it came, and be the backup.
I've found my "Ones", and that's it. I can look interestedly at other basses and just think, "that's nice", and walk on.
It's a really nice place to be, and probably cost less than a USA Fender to do the entire mash up!
Bitsas rule!

Edited by Telebass

Same here. Both my Ps are bitzers.. Allparts necks, fender Trad p bass pickups, gotoh 201 bridges, one with a Meranti body, the other with a Replacement Fender MIM body. Sure I'd live a mid 70s p, but these two are pretty decent sounding (both slightly different, the MIM body is classic precision, sounding with its Alder body, the Meranti sounds slightly brighter and more resonant).

Bitsa's also get the the thumbs up from me, well some of them do <_< .

I've made up a few in recent years and two of them in particular turned out impressively good. One I sold on here last year and the other I still gig with and play at home most days.

Yup, my go-to P bass is a bitsa. Black MIJ lightweight body, Mighty Mite maple Jazz neck, Wizard Trad pup, Hipshot A style bridge, P-retro, La Bella flats. Does exactly what I want it to do.

Doesn't stop me gassing for others though :)

But they're not Fenders. And although I've shed my need to see Fender on my headstock, I'll probably never play anything else. Because they are the only type of bass I enjoy playing!
Nobody ever said any of this was in any way based on logic or good sense, after all!

I love my bitsa! Any chance to take a photo of it...

80's MIJ Fender E series body
MIM Fender Jazz neck
Wizard 'Big' P/J set
Gotoh 201 / 203 hybrid bridge
US Fender '62RI machine heads & control plate.
CTS pots

It's a bit of a dog, but plays and sounds brilliant! With a nicer neck it could possibly be the one.