Why become a member? ×

Can we have a POWER AMP thread?

NancyJohnson

I've gone down a slightly different route .... I have my preamp in pedal format so in my 'worst case scenario' I can just take that without a cab/power amp & either use backline or PA ... I initially powered preamp with Yamaha P2500S going into PJB 9B cab but I really liked the idea of a powered cab instead ... unfortunately there aren't many bass specific ones out there but this is what I ended up with ... :)

Darkglass B3K > 3Leaf Audio Enabler > BagEnd PD12-D

So far so good but haven't gigged this setup as yet ... The BagEnd 212 cab has a class D power amp built in limited to 500w but surprisingly it doesn't have a volume knob so is at constant full output but I control this with my Enabler preamp ... the cab is a bit heavy for some I guess at 37kg ...... :)

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1401451368' post='2463766']
Maybe pedantic, but some power amps need a high input [i][b]level [/b][/i]because they have low input [i][b]sensitivity. [/b][/i]Not trying to be snarky but this can lead to confusion.
[/quote] not pedantic at all - I knew I wasn't writing it quite right as I was doing it. :)
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1401444233' post='2463622']
Looking forward to getting to grips with this rig. If this doesn't satisfy my 'ultra clean' quest, nothing will :)

[/quote] If it doesn't I've a preamp for sale in the sale section that might up the cleanness stakes for you! :D ;)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1401475907' post='2464075']
Worth remembering that the master volume setting doesn't intrinsically limit the power of the amp, the amp can still deliver its full power if it gets a hot enough signal from the preamp.
[/quote]

Indeed. This is why I'm conservative on both 'masters' i.e. half on the QSC and half on the SWR. I also use the compressor on the SWR to clean up any nasty 'player dynamics' i.e. cock-ups I may make :-)

I've had a few plays with the Avalon>Crown>Barefaced setup now, and am extremely happy!
I tend to play with bass and mids flat and quite a severe treble cut (new roundwound strings) and I have what I've been after for ages - clarity, no distortion, no boom, and lots and lots of headroom.
The Crown has all DSP off.

At tonight's gig, we were supporting Finlay Quaye, and we decided that both bands would use my rig (the Avalon was also used as a DI to the PA)
Onstage, it was fat, clean and huge sounding. Watching the other band, I was only really hearing the PA, but hearing a superb reggae player on a lovely pre-EB 'Ray through the Avalon was a real pleasure - absolutely huge depth to the tone.

This rig is a keeper.

Edited by Roland Rock

Here is a nice power amp: the QSC PLX series. I got the PLX 3402 myself, a really powerful and lightweight amp capable to manage 2 ohms load on each side and 4 ohms bridged at massive 3400 Watts RMS.
The weight is 9 kg and the effect is overkill. I got it at a very good price, that's why I have such a big amp, it has lots of features like switchable lowpass filter at 30Hz, 50Hz and straight. I always set the filter to 30 Hz just to save the speakers I use. There is no real audible difference with lows cut, but a significant difference in cone movement on the speakers. I never run it hot, just two or maybe three clicks on the volume. If you have a preamp with a single output you'll need a split Y-cable so you can send to both inputs on the power amp. I use it for stereo rig konfiguration.
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/3_zpsb81cac18.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1402777203' post='2476775']
Here is a nice power amp: the QSC PLX series. I got the PLX 3402 myself, a really powerful and lightweight amp capable to manage 2 ohms load on each side and 4 ohms bridged at massive 3400 Watts RMS.
The weight is 9 kg and the effect is overkill. I got it at a very good price, that's why I have such a big amp, it has lots of features like switchable lowpass filter at 30Hz, 50Hz and straight. I always set the filter to 30 Hz just to save the speakers I use. There is no real audible difference with lows cut, but a significant difference in cone movement on the speakers. I never run it hot, just two or maybe three clicks on the volume. If you have a preamp with a single output you'll need a split Y-cable so you can send to both inputs on the power amp. I use it for stereo rig konfiguration.

[/quote] well, absolute overkill - but I like it :)

New here but I thought I'd chip my 2p in...

I'm running a SansAmp Driver into a Markbass BigBang head (paired with a 1x12 and 1x15 Markbass cabs) and it's a great piece of kit - weighs in at a whisker over 2kg and can be rack-mounted with a kit from MB. Given the neutral tone of the MB gear you should be able to replicate your sound (which, from a brief listen is awesome) with no issues.

I think my whole rig weighs in at 38kg!

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1402777203' post='2476775']
If you have a preamp with a single output you'll need a split Y-cable so you can send to both inputs on the power amp. I use it for stereo rig konfiguration.

[/quote]

Does your PLX not have the parallel input option on the dip switches? My PLX1602 has this option which means you can use input A to drive both power amps in a stereo setup.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1403266923' post='2481313']
i often look at swapping out my micro head for a small power amp, there seems to be no options out there as small and as powerful as the microheads (ampeg pf800 etc)
[/quote]

I swapped my PF500 for the Mark Bass Big Bang. Both 500w but, with the same bass driving them, the MB is much louder and more defined. In fact the MB into a single 1x12 (300W @ 8 Ohm was louder and tighter than the PF500 (500W @4Ohm) into the 2x10 and 1x15 PF cabs. I was really disappointed with the Ampeg gear.