Why become a member? ×

New PA rig advice please chaps . . . Active + passive setup

Bascially the band are after a couple of powered speakers we can move about a bit easier.

Here is what we are looking at - JBL PRX715 Active [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/JBL_PRX715_Active_Two-Way_PA_Speaker/JBL-PRX715"]http://www.soundsliv...aker/JBL-PRX715[/url] (1500watt two way)

I am thinking these would be good for small/medium pub settings (bass and eletrctric guitars would go through backline only in these settings). Through the tops - x3 Vocals, x1 harmonica, x1 Flute, Acoustic guitar, banjo & maybe some kick.

We do have 2 PASSIVE JBL 18" subs (1000watt per side) we can bring out to extend the rig . . . .

suppose my question is - l can buy a 2 way active X-Over and a suitable amp to power the bass bins and connect the whole thing up (giving me 4/5K rig). Does the active + passive rig work well?

Anyone have any experiance with the active jbl stuff?

many thanks!

Edited by Me And My Bass

Silly question I'm sure, but have you checked whether the active subs have a built-in X-over or High Pass filter? I think you'll find that this is what you need. After a quick online check, all the JBL active subs I found had them so there's a good chance yours will. Best of both worlds really since it means the deep bass never reaches the tops (giving you more bang for your buck), *and* you don't have to faff around with extra boxes & leads. Not to mention saving yourself a wad of cash on a piece of kit you probably don't need. :)

Edited by leftybassman392

Reckon it is do-able the way you outline, (power amp and x-over for Subs), but having used some PRX715's, I don't think you will use the subs much.
The 715's are a fantastic speaker and we had 3 x Vox, Harmonica, Keys, Kick and Overhead through them and they coped really well.

Have to agree, I don't think you'll need the subs with that line-up for much stuff indoors.
Outdoors is another deal altogther, IMO.

If I was going to run an active P.A and run subs at every gig... I'd probably wouldn't want
any bigger than 10" tops

Our PA guru is not a fan of JBL gear he feels it is way too expensive to repair when compared to any of its rivals, he hires out EV gear, our drummer has just brought the ZLX15P as a drum fill, it is a cracking bit of kit and is fully useable as a FOH speaker

Link is below

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=CVZ6MM0x6U4rDIarSiwac2oDQCozJxvoEvIzAsJcBmO35jNMBCAkQASDezc8eKDZQ2c3drPj_____AWC7hrOD0ArIAQepAgfaStOTPrw-qgQjT9BIpAPOpNnaipJIM22fnSZ1AEbQJIkgB8JrnCMYoHqFdzrABQWgBiaAB6S82jGQBwHgEuqS36Gu56CwlgE&sig=AOD64_3_9P3tQ63TFALL2pARS8GQVwQ4_Q&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CFcQ2CkwAA&adurl=http://www.phase1live.co.uk/sound-c16/pa-speakers-c18/active-pa-speakers-c20/zlx15p-active-1000-watt-class-d-powered-pa-speaker-single-speaker-p1126/s1150%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_term%3Dev-zlx15p-active-1000-watt-class-d-powered-pa-speaker%26utm_campaign%3Dproduct%252Blisting%252Bads"][i]EV[/i] ZLX15P Active 1000 watt class d [i]powered PA speaker[/i][/url]

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1400524175' post='2454653']
Our PA guru is not a fan of JBL gear he feels it is way too expensive to repair when compared to any of its rivals,
[/quote]

Probably due to using Crown Power Amps. They ain't the cheapest in the world.

A passive active hybrid is perfectly acceptable,I use active tops and passive subs myself in my older rig.
It is more of a ball ache to set up,because you need to run XLR signal cables and 240v to the tops and speaker cable to the subs but no major hardship.
It is pretty versatile as you can easily add the subs in when needed and quickly patch in the x over for bigger gigs, yet manage without with 15"tops in pubs and bars etc.
Your subs probably have a high pass already (worth checking) so all you need to do is find the best cross over point on your x over.
With my active 15" tops I go for a quite low 80hz as I like the poke it gives the kick in the tops while leaving the subs to provide warmth and "feel".
Others like to make the subs work that low mid range up to 160/200hz to get a cleaner more efficient signal to the tops.(this is where my smaller rig is set,app)
Depends on your subs etc.
Have a play for different flavours.
If you can, try to ensure your crossover gives you a volume pot for each frequency band, so you can balance the two elements without resorting to turning the amps up and down.
If you can afford it, get a Driverack speaker management system or similar,as this will give you high pass, level out per band, EQ,limiters to protect your speakers, and compression to add a bit of chunk,plus you can save a couple of presets for with or without subs.
As JT mentioned,with 15"tops,you won't need the subs in average sized gigs.
I took mine always though,whether needed or not,I liked the sound!
That being said, I have just bought some nice 10" Passives for the smaller pokier sound with smaller boxes and less cables but I couldn't use them at all without the subs.
Good luck!

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1400524175' post='2454653']
Our PA guru is not a fan of JBL gear he feels it is way too expensive to repair when compared to any of its rivals, he hires out EV gear, our drummer has just brought the ZLX15P as a drum fill, it is a cracking bit of kit and is fully useable as a FOH speaker

Link is below

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=CVZ6MM0x6U4rDIarSiwac2oDQCozJxvoEvIzAsJcBmO35jNMBCAkQASDezc8eKDZQ2c3drPj_____AWC7hrOD0ArIAQepAgfaStOTPrw-qgQjT9BIpAPOpNnaipJIM22fnSZ1AEbQJIkgB8JrnCMYoHqFdzrABQWgBiaAB6S82jGQBwHgEuqS36Gu56CwlgE&sig=AOD64_3_9P3tQ63TFALL2pARS8GQVwQ4_Q&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CFcQ2CkwAA&adurl=http://www.phase1live.co.uk/sound-c16/pa-speakers-c18/active-pa-speakers-c20/zlx15p-active-1000-watt-class-d-powered-pa-speaker-single-speaker-p1126/s1150%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_term%3Dev-zlx15p-active-1000-watt-class-d-powered-pa-speaker%26utm_campaign%3Dproduct%252Blisting%252Bads"][i]EV[/i] ZLX15P Active 1000 watt class d [i]powered PA speaker[/i][/url]
[/quote]

+1
We have just bought a pair of these. Very clear sound and amazing value for the money

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1400581976' post='2455048']

How would they come with putting a kick drum and bass guitar?
[/quote]

Ours are actually the 12s not 15s and we only plan to pit vocals through it. We played a pub to 100 people last weekend and hardly had them turned up at all. I would imagine the 15s would be more than capable of taking kick and bass. PMT have them on display in most of their shops