Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V

discreet

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1400742321' post='2456488']
I'm thinking my next foray into 5s might be buying one of these and a P5, and swapping the necks, then offloading the J with the P neck. Then I'll have a complete set of blocks/binding Precisions!
[/quote]

Good wheeze! The VMJ V is definitely worth a try, Den.
IMHO, of course... can't comment on the P5 but I can't see it being wildly inferior to the VMJ V for any reason. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1400745377' post='2456514']
How heavy are these chaps? I might get one of for gigs in some of the 'less salubrious' venues I play at.... (this is the closest I can get to a justification for buying one)
[/quote]

At this price you don't need to do much justification! Great idea, though - it's good to have something that sounds and plays well but that you don't have to worry about ever - there must be thousands of them and they are affordable enough to replace easily if everything goes boobs-aloft. :)

Using the traditional 'with-and-without-the-bass-on-the-bathroom-scales-method', I calculate a weight of 10.2lbs.
Is this heavy for a five-string? It has a certain physical presence, but doesn't feel like a boat anchor to me... YMMV of course. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400745672' post='2456519']
At this price you don't need to do much justification! :)
Using the traditional 'with-and-without-the-bass-on-the-bathroom-scales-method', I calculate a weight of 10.2lbs.
Is this heavy for a five-string? It has a certain physical presence, but doesn't feel like a boat anchor... YMMV of course. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for that... that's not too bad really for a fiver.

I'll have a look around at the weekend and see if anyone has one in stock I think.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1400745824' post='2456521']
Thanks for that... that's not too bad really for a fiver.
I'll have a look around at the weekend and see if anyone has one in stock I think.
[/quote]

I think Thomann have them in atm. I hope you like it after all my ranting! *Worry* :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400746457' post='2456527']
I think Thomann have them in atm. I hope you like it after all my ranting! *Worry* :blink:
[/quote]

I've had one on the radar for a while... your review just pushed me closer!

It really does look like a lot of bass for the money.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1400773130' post='2456868']
How the neck dive (if there is any)?
[/quote]

I hadn't noticed, but now you mention it I suppose it could be an issue. I use a wide padded Minotaur strap to minimise it in any case. Left to its own devices the bass has a tendency toward the horizontal - I play it a little above this so it's perfectly acceptable for me. But if you like to have your bass at a very acute angle (like Bill Wyman, for instance) I could see it being a problem.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1400773130' post='2456868']
How the neck dive (if there is any)?
One of the very few complaints ive read by a few owners have mentioned this.
[/quote]

i use a dunlop strap and dnt really notice any neck dive, i do have my bass very low, but dnt notice that im holding the neck up, unlike when i had a gibby thunderbird which hurt.

andy

I bought A VM J V Maple / maple for £220 off Ebay. Not a mark on it. It had a bit of a wonky set up and some high frets. But after a set up it plays great and the quality fit and finish is really very good. The body is supposed to be a two piece, down the middle, but I cant see a join at all. Mine is the lastest version with Fender designed pickups. I think the duncan designed ones were better. They have a brittle top end. So they will go. Only problem with the maple/maple V is it heavy. But its as tough as old boots, would be great in a bar brawl....

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1400959085' post='2458648']
Mine is the latest version with Fender designed pickups. I think the duncan designed ones were better. They have a brittle top end.
[/quote]

Not sure which mine are... afaik it's a 2013 model. You're right, there's certainly a lot of top end available. ;)
I'm using full treble cut on the tone while my new strings lose their zing...

Would be interested to know what you replace the pups with. Don't seem to be a lot of alternatives available, unless I'm just looking in the wrong place, of course. But I'm not unhappy with the stock pups... at the moment. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1400962967' post='2458701']
I could be wrong but I think the DD are alnico and the Fender pups are ceramic magnet which I've read is what contributes to the brittleness...
[/quote]

sd's are defo alinco, they are great and wouldnt swap em out, my fender designed have a harsh top end and have an attentuated low end, they sound like a mexi jazz pup. Which i hate. i am just going to get the guts ripped changed to alinco v and the bobbins rewound with formar.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1401560753' post='2464801']
You've definitely turned to the dark (Jazz!) side then! I'm sorry that I contributed to this act of horror, even in the smallest of ways :P
In all seriousness though I'm glad it's turned out well - sounds like you have a cracking bass there!
[/quote]

Can't go back to just one pickup now.... I've also fitted a JZ3 Pre and Status Hotwires = superb!
I won't rattle on about it as I've mentioned it elsewhere... but thank you. ;)