Why become a member? ×

Wizard '84 Jazz pickups - SOLD
£70

A used set of Wizard '84 Jazz pups for sale. I've held onto these for a while with the intention of building my own bitsa but I doubt I'll ever get round to that so up they go!

These 84's are darker fatter sounding pickups than the more vintage '64 variants.

SOLD

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/IRBeBbp.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by dannybuoy

By "darker" do you mean less top end? I'm interested, but just want to know what to expect from a sound point of view... I have used Wizard Hammers before - how do these compare? :)

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1400588317' post='2455140']
I have a pair and I love them. Certainly are fat!
[/quote]

"Fat" how, exactly? Rich and full in the midrange? Lots of bottom-end? Sound is so hard to describe in words... :(

I like plenty of treble response, so if these lack top end they may not be ideal for me...

Hi, sorry but I can't give you a proper answer as I've only ever played one Jazz bass and it had these pickups in it!

There was plenty enough treble response for me and they were very full in the lows and mids. Others might be able to give a more honest assessment.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1400593423' post='2455235']
Hi, sorry but I can't give you a proper answer as I've only ever played one Jazz bass and it had these pickups in it!

There was plenty enough treble response for me and they were very full in the lows and mids. Others might be able to give a more honest assessment.
[/quote]

I've got a set of Wizard '84's in my Jazz. (Actually it's a custom '74 [slightly thinner sounding] in the neck position and '84 in the bridge) They are fat, oh yes. But not lacking in treble at all. I think it would be fair to say there's just more output from them in general - compared to a standard Fender Jazz pickup at least. I run these into an EMG BTC, and I hardly ever have to boost treble at all, when i do it is a tiny amount and it's usually because the strings have had it.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1400750573' post='2456559']
No interest in these? £65 posted?
[/quote]

I'm interested.... but I'm also waiting to see the new incarnation of Wizard Pickups, and what their prices look like...

Sorry - I know that doesn't help you :(

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400758475' post='2456666']
I'm interested.... but I'm also waiting to see the new incarnation of Wizard Pickups, and what their prices look like...
[/quote]

Are Wizard pickups going to be back in business sometime?

[quote name='Fishman' timestamp='1401806562' post='2467068']
Are Wizard pickups going to be back in business sometime?
[/quote]

So it would seem! There is another thread somewhere, but I can't find it... their new website should be live any time now. I think they have changed their name to "Hot-rod" or something similar...

On FB - [url="https://www.facebook.com/hotrodguitarparts"]https://www.facebook.com/hotrodguitarparts[/url]

Edited by Conan