Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD *** Gibson Grabber G3 - 1976, Black with original hard case, case candy etc
£950

Gary Williams

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I bought this from Grae (BigSmokeBass) last February but due to me recently biting the bullet and buying my dream bass, sadly this has to go along with another bass from my collection.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]To avoid divorce I try and have a strict "one in - one out" policy here but my new purchase means "one in - two out" - This one is going to hurt. I love this bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This example is in amazing condition especially since it is 38 years old. A few small dings and paint chips around the rear string route plus a bit of lacquer has come off around the 3rd to 5th fret on the rear of the neck but it has been worn smooth.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The case looks as new which is astonishing. Also the lightest bass I have ever owned at 8lbs 2 oz.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The tones out of this bass are simply amazing - the beautiful cream Bill Lawrence pickups are obviously well designed from J bass to P bass tones to the most amazing slap sound I have ever heard especially when on the front neck pickup. The first gig I used this on, the drummer was cheering every time I did a thumb/pull as the slap/pop sound was so wonderful.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Great review here on YouTube which is nearly 20 minutes long but he seriously loves these basses bless him![/font][/color]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMUTVhzPMoI[/media]

The bass is currently strung with pretty new Elixir roundwounds, had a set up/polish last year and was also screened. Not because it had any hum issues but I do this to all my basses to avoid problems.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I want £950.00 for her which is what I paid. No trades please.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]P&P not included - I am based in Sussex but can discuss couriers etc if needed.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll let the pictures do the talking.[i] (Pics show Ernie Ball straplocks and Hipshot Bass Extender but I have removed these to return the bass back to original)[/i][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

Edited by Gary Williams

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1399817692' post='2447950']
Ah, my old one! Was just asking Grae where it had gotten to! It really hurt when I let it go, like the fool I was.
[/quote]

The same here brother! The paranoia of owning such a vintage and quality bass got to me in the end due to where I was living (or who was living nearby!)
but damn.... They simply don't make them how they used to!

Gary, I think you may have Gus hounding you back for this one but I'll vouch for him as a gentleman as we are ourselves and if you don't sort him a deal, he'll remove your post...... JOKING!!
He's a great lad, big and friendly chap like myself and I'm sure if all goes well, you'll have friendship out of it too :)

All the best with the sale, not one to be missed.

Grae
BigSmokeBass

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1399817692' post='2447950']
Ah, my old one! Was just asking Grae where it had gotten to! It really hurt when I let it go, like the fool I was.
[/quote]
[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1399838100' post='2448240']
The same here brother! The paranoia of owning such a vintage and quality bass got to me in the end due to where I was living (or who was living nearby!)
but damn.... They simply don't make them how they used to!

Gary, I think you may have Gus hounding you back for this one but I'll vouch for him as a gentleman as we are ourselves and if you don't sort him a deal, he'll remove your post...... JOKING!!
He's a great lad, big and friendly chap like myself and I'm sure if all goes well, you'll have friendship out of it too :)

All the best with the sale, not one to be missed.

Grae
BigSmokeBass
[/quote]

Thanks Gus and Grae - yeah I'm going to really miss her too.

Looking through my old PMs this was originally imported by BucketHead on here[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] from America off a dude who said he had it for over 30 years and said he was the 2nd owner. He seems to think it is a 1976 model.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Gary Williams' timestamp='1399879895' post='2448455']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]He seems to think it is a 1976 model.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

It appears to be a 1976 model (unless you have a date stamp in the neck pocket or on the neck heel which contradicts this) because the serial number starts with 00 - "During the period from 1975-1977 Gibson used a transfer that had eight digit numbers, the first two indicate the year, 99=1975, 00=1976 and 06=1977, the following six digits are in the 100000 to 200000 range. MADE IN USA were also included on the transfer and some models had LIMITED EDITION also applied. A few bolt on neck instruments had a date ink stamped on the heel area." - from http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf

My first Gibson bass was a 1978 G-3. Loved it, but moved it on in the interests of variety. Would have one back at some point, but can't do so right now. GLWTS.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1399886568' post='2448532']
It appears to be a 1976 model (unless you have a date stamp in the neck pocket or on the neck heel which contradicts this) because the serial number starts with 00 - "During the period from 1975-1977 Gibson used a transfer that had eight digit numbers, the first two indicate the year, 99=1975, 00=1976 and 06=1977, the following six digits are in the 100000 to 200000 range. MADE IN USA were also included on the transfer and some models had LIMITED EDITION also applied. A few bolt on neck instruments had a date ink stamped on the heel area." - from [url="http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf"]http://www.gibson.co...RIALNUMBERS.pdf[/url]

My first Gibson bass was a 1978 G-3. Loved it, but moved it on in the interests of variety. Would have one back at some point, but can't do so right now. GLWTS.
[/quote]

Thanks neepheid - I'll amend accordingly!