Why become a member? ×

Peaking amps

GRAHAM SG1

I have noticed recently that both my Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Shuttle 9.2 amps are peaking at what I would not regard to be excessive volumes, I am running them through a pair of Barefaced Super Compact cabs (each at 600 watts @ 4ohms) so more than enough handling, I play in a rock trio so not excatly heavy metal levels although we are loud ! I use a Fender USA Precision Deluxe in passive mode, my settings are usually as follows;

Bass 9 to 10 o clock
Mid 2 to 3 o clock
Treble noon
Gain and volumes noon- master to taste
Mid frequency selectors usually centred
Gain button selected on Streamliner

I play mainly with fingers and get the peak light coming on often, this does cause slight concern as I am not sure I would have enough headroom to play larger venues, typically we play normal pub sized venues, is it ok to play with the peak light coming on like this, these amps are supposed to be 900 watts so I would expect them to be louder and not peak very often ?

Do I need to buy a bigger amp or are these lightweight amps not actually as loud as their ratings would suggest ?

Isn't the those amps you got is minimum 4ohm load? and you running two bareface cab which are 4ohm load each, which bring the minimum load to 2ohm. If so, you can do more harm to your amp.

If you keep playing your amp via 2ohm you can damage and break your amp ........

You need two 8ohm load cab instead ....... not two 4ohm cab.

Edited by badboy1984

I'm sure I read somewhere that the GB 'peak' light is more of a signal indicator and that its ok flashing and only a problem if it stays on continuously - then again I might have dreamt that :blink:

Good point about the two cabs mind. I'm sure the Streamliner was a minimum 4 ohm load.

Just checked the Streamliner manual online which states:
[font=Arial][size=2]
[i][size=4]• The AMBER “PEAK” LED indicates that the power amp is near its maximum power. Under high output conditions it is normal for this LED to light with the strongest pulses of the signal. Driving hard beyond this point will cause the amplifier to gradually begin to clip which may become audible. If using a very mid focused bass tone and while driving the amp hard, it may be possible to hear some distortion before the PEAK LED is lit. This is normal and is a result of the harmonics generated by the preamp tubes during the overdrive process being more audible since the ear is more sensitive to upper midrange frequencies.[/size][/i][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2]
[size=4]Also the manual states:[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=2]
[i][size=4][b]SPEAKER OUTPUTS – [/b]The Streamliner™ 900 provides two Neutrik Speak-On™ connectors (wired 1+/1-). The speaker jacks are paralleled. [u][b]The minimum speaker load is 4 ohms[/b][/u]. Do not ground either the “+” or the “-” outputs. Because this is a high voltage, high current output, ¼” output jacks are not provided in order to comply with international safety standards. It is never an issue for the Streamliner™ to be used without a speaker load connected.[/size][/i][/size][/font]

Try turning your bass eq knob down? I'd recommend a Thumpinator normally to help but I think Genz amps have a built in high pass filter already.

FWIW, I had the same issue with the STM600, ended up replacing it with the Orange Terror Bass, which is supposed to be 500W but is much louder!

Thanks for the comments, the two cabs are 8 ohms each so a total 4 ohm load, I made sure of that when I bought them,see here
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Compact.htm"]http://barefacedbass...per-Compact.htm[/url]

It could also be my hearing is deteriorating quickly :( ;)

The Shuttle 9.2 peaks earlier than the Streamliner, the overdrive light also comes on, I know the knob position is only a rough guide but I am talking of no more than noon on the non EQ controls, does anyone have reason to believe that the micro amps are not as consistently loud as their solid state/transistor relatives ?

Can these micro amps gradually reduce their output as they get older and more used, I remember thinking my Streamliner was earth-shakingly loud and dont remember it peaking when i bought it, I have tried backing off the bass EQ which does work but then I have a weaker less full sound, I have tried to compensate with more mids which goes some way to help, maybe I should tell the drummer and guitarist to turn down ! am I expecting too much, I have had 500 watt amps (Ampeg PF500,TC BH500,GK212) and they were not powerful enough .

In the last few months I have changed from a Barefaced Super 12T (2x12) cab to the Super Compacts, maybe these cabs are driving the amps harder without seeming louder ?

Edited by GRAHAM SG1

I found this as well and when I voiced my opinion that I didn't think that the ST900 was that loud I was classed as some sort of looney. I brought the bass down a bit and turned the mids up a bit, not a lot though and found that I liked the sound a lot and the peak light stayed off. It's loud enough for me for any gig I'm likely to play and if it needs to be louder I'll just DI through the P.A. That also means that everything else would need micing as well.

Also, don't forget that a 900 watt amp is just a tad short of only being twice as loud as a 100w amp. I'm not going to mention the valve watts verses transistor watts debate.

Edited by bertbass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1399760333' post='2447479']
Have you tried turning the gain down a bit & turning up the master?

G.
[/quote]
This was my first thought.
My understanding of setting up your gain is to have the master fairly low, play your bass & keep increasing the gain until the clip light comes on, then back off a touch. Use the master to control how loud you want to be.