Why become a member? ×

NBD x2- Warwick advice needed

lucky

So on Saturday I went and picked up a lovely old Fender Bullet from our own Ash as planned (pictures below) which fits nicely with my other couple of fenders, however I also picked up something else I didn't plan on. As someone was leaving work last week I got dragged to out on Friday night, on the way to town I spied a Warwick in the window of cash converters with a not unreasonable (I think) price tag. So I went back on Saturday morning to check it out, asked to play it, but it took a while to get any sound out as the active circuit is shot (I've not idea what's broken and it's not a dead battery), however it works just fine in passive mode. After discovering this, playing it a little and shooting the Warwick breeze the price was reduced and I said "OK, f*** it. I'll take it"

It needs a set up, the action lowering and could benefit from a new set of strings after being sat in the cash converters basement storage or 6 months, plus the obvious fix of the active circuit, but the overall condition is very good. So my questions are; considering what it is and that the EQ needs fixing/replacing, how much would you have paid for it? And does anyone know of anyone in the Sheffield area who they'd recommend to give it a going over including the EQ?

Bargainous Warwick Streamer $$ pics?

[attachment=162153:photo (11).JPG]

[attachment=162154:photo (12).JPG]

Old Fender pics (courtesy of Ash)

[attachment=162155:bullet.jpg]

[attachment=162156:bullet 2.jpg]

Anything less than 650-700 quid would be good for a fully working model, preamp should be an easy fix so anything less than those would be a decent deal!

Spill, what did you pay?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1399446611' post='2444227']
Anything less than 650-700 quid would be good for a fully working model, preamp should be an easy fix so anything less than those would be a decent deal!

Spill, what did you pay?
[/quote]

Inquiring minds need to know...

Apologies for the suspense, i wanted unbiased opinion to see if it was the reasonabley priced gem i thought it was.

and the answer is... £400. originally £500 but reduced due to the knackered EQ. so i'm feeling pretty good about it :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1399556262' post='2445272']
£400 is a top price, well done bud! Why does my local Crack Converters never have anything like this in?
[/quote]

Plus the one.

Edited by ahpook

Thanks guys. The only issue is it's making me re-evaluate the exclusively Fender only policy I've had towards basses the last couple of years. I suppose it's a nice problem to have so i shan't complain

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1399556262' post='2445272']
£400 is a top price, well done bud! Why does my local Crack Converters never have anything like this in?
[/quote]

I've said the same thing before but now I daresay I can never say it again. I guess they're always just worth a quick look

I know a lot of the Warwick artists swear by the duncan 3 band instead of the MEC.

I personally like the MEC pre and the pickups although I do find barts on a fretless Warwick sound much sweeter than MECs

Sad fact is replacement MEC pres are normally stupidly expensive, unless you luck out and find a second hand one. Probably best going for something different.

With actives I think the usual reason for why some seem better than others is how (in a 3 band EQ for example) the treble, mid and bass frequencies are chosen, the shape (width) of the filter curves and the amount in dB of cut and boost available. Some EQs also have selectable mid frequencies. Some active EQs employ sweepable frequency boosts (parametric EQs) like my old Westone Spectrum LX which has a passive tone control (which like other passives cuts treble) and in active mode will add an amount of boost centred around a sweepable frequency which can be either treble or bass (much like Wal basses I gather).

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1399654343' post='2446407']
The only issue is it's making me re-evaluate the exclusively Fender only policy I've had towards basses the last couple of years. I suppose it's a nice problem to have so i shan't complain
[/quote]

For sure! The Warwick is such a radical departure from what you're accustomed to!! Welcome to the light!

In a couple of years time you'll be contemplating your Warwick collection, deciding upon whether to play your Streamer $$, your Thumb NT, or your fretless Dolphin, and thanking that sweet fateful day when Crack Converters freed you from the shackles of Fenderdom.

Maybe keep a Fender in the attic though, just for those times when you need to remind yourself what proper basses evolved from :ph34r: ;)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1399902440' post='2448769']
With actives I think the usual reason for why some seem better than others is how (in a 3 band EQ for example) the treble, mid and bass frequencies are chosen, the shape (width) of the filter curves and the amount in dB of cut and boost available. Some EQs also have selectable mid frequencies. Some active EQs employ sweepable frequency boosts (parametric EQs) like my old Westone Spectrum LX which has a passive tone control (which like other passives cuts treble) and in active mode will add an amount of boost centred around a sweepable frequency which can be either treble or bass (much like Wal basses I gather).
[/quote]

This sounds both fun and complicated. How much do you tend to use the EQ while you're playing? As opposed to finding a standard EQ on your amp and leaving it largely alone

Would it be heresy/a waste just to make it purely passive and replace the 2EQ pots with a pair of tone pots?

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1399966685' post='2449318']
For sure! The Warwick is such a radical departure from what you're accustomed to!! Welcome to the light!

In a couple of years time you'll be contemplating your Warwick collection, deciding upon whether to play your Streamer $$, your Thumb NT, or your fretless Dolphin, and thanking that sweet fateful day when Crack Converters freed you from the shackles of Fenderdom.

Maybe keep a Fender in the attic though, just for those times when you need to remind yourself what proper basses evolved from :ph34r: ;)
[/quote]

hahaha i still can't believe the difference. But I suppose it's like cars, yes there's still 4 tyres/strings and something to make it move (engine/pups) but the similarities end there

Having a 3 band active EQ gives you more to fiddle with but you're right in thinking that once you've dialled in the sound you want it can be a case of set and forget, similar to your amp's EQ section. I've got 4 active basses and a single passive but I don't feel that the passive is particularly lacking when it comes to changing the tone, it's less to go wrong and in any case I also have a bass effects console (with its own pre-amp/EQ/cabinet simulator) which gives me yet more tone shaping possibilities to consider. Sometimes, simple is best!