Why become a member? ×

Pardon my Ignorance - Gigging with a DI Box, No amp?

Hello,

I had a thought recently: Would it be effective to connect a bass to an EQ pedal (or pre-amp pedal) which plugs straight into a DI box through to the PA?

This idea came about because I thought it would be useful to travel to a gig without the need of an amp - I have a moped, so I can take a bass only.

I haven't really seen any posts about this online, which could be because it's a silly idea . . . But what level of sound quality what it deliver? Between terrible and passable.

I have done gigs with just a bass and a DI box, and those gigs have sounded pretty alright; so by that logic, adding a pre-amp or EQ pedal should make it good. Maybe - I'm no tone-guru.

Please post your thoughts. And thank you for reading this.

We run the whole band through the PA (albeit it's our PA with the EQs set to suit each instrument) In reality, we don't even run DI's as such...the 6 strings do go through pedals that do the same thing, but the bass plugs straight into a pre-amped channel. We do have short cable runs, however, which helps.
It is a lot lot easier to get a good sound to the front of house this way, but as JamesXP says, the monitors need to be pretty good. We use two wedge monitors plus 'semi' individual mix earphones. We are consistently told that our sound balance is better than most of the other bands and you can hear all the instruments and the vocalist, rather than the usual ever-increasing backline volume competition.
I think it's a bit all or nothing, though - if the 6 strings have a back line, the bass needs to be similar. If the 6 strings are also going through the PA, it can work very well. Also, obviously, your PA speakers need to be hefty enough to take the bass without distorting the treble and vocals.

Depends what you're playing, how you're playing and where you're playing... I can already hear some readers going 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!' :D

I`ve done a few gigs like this, where because of limited stage space, car space, and car parking (so not wanting to carry an amp for a mile or more) it was better to do so. As the others have said, providing you can get a good mix in the monitors, it`s fine. Not my preference, but it`s doable.

In theory it's a great idea. I'd love to be able to turn up to a gig with a bass and a bag of bits.

In reality I've rarely been able to get good enough monitoring through the PA when trying it. I've always gone back to having a small backline rig for monitoring and then DI to FOH.

I occasionally DI at uni depending how shagged the bass amp in a rehearsal room is. Works alright with the G&L, but with other passive basses there's a limit of flexibility.

I'd suggest the best way to go would be good IEMS, and a Lehle RMI Basswitch DI - I've used one live with Shure in ears, and it sounded great. I just don't like the isolation from the rest of the gig. I'd much prefer a rig every day of the week.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1399089265' post='2440925']
In theory it's a great idea. I'd love to be able to turn up to a gig with a bass and a bag of bits.

In reality I've rarely been able to get good enough monitoring through the PA when trying it. I've always gone back to having a small backline rig for monitoring and then DI to FOH.
[/quote]

Yes it works fine but you have to hand over total control to the sound man, which they love and musicians hate. :)