Why become a member? ×

Gramma pad advice

KingBollock

I keep my rig in my little music/computer room. It is a ridiculously large rig for home practise but it's what I've got. The biggest problem I have is with frequency response in my room. The frequency I really want to boost, on my 7 band eq, is 100hz, but because my room is also a workshop and full of [i]stuff[/i] using that frequency causes my room to rattle somewhat. It sounds like a one man band falling down an escalator.

Would a gramma pad help with this?

If it would, I remember seeing a bread where people talked about making their own, but I can't find it. So does anyone have any advice on a DIY pad?

I suppose it's down to how much of the vibration is down to mechanical transmission through the floor, and how much is straight through the air. A quick test might be to stick the cab on on some polystyrene block packing. I did this with my son's sub bass unit connected to his PC sound system, and this has a decided 100hz lift. The difference was marked. Whether it would work on a big bass cab... worth a try.

Yeah, that's what was worrying me. I need to get into a band so I can use this thing properly. I can get some brilliant sounds from it but it is all wasted. I'll see if I can find something to experiment with. The problem is all the tool drawers, and boxes and tins and jars full of screws, nails and stuff.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1399054367' post='2440572']
Would a gramma pad help with this?[/quote]Probably no. Your problem is the level of the sound, and that's from what's coming out of the speakers, not from the cabinet being in contact with the floor.
[quote]The problem is all the tool drawers, and boxes and tins and jars full of screws, nails and stuff. [/quote]Explaining why you tend not to see those items in recording studios. B)

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

My rig sits on a Gramma pad, but it doesn't stop the laundry rack or the spoon in my cereal bowl from vibrating like buggery when certain notes are played. Doesn't stop the wife complaining about the noise either I'm afraid.

That's one problem I don't have. My wife knows how much playing means to me a never complains about the noise, unless she thinks it's getting late and it might annoy the neighbours. But then I tend to be pretty good about when I play and if it's late, and I have to play, I use headphones. I'd use headphones more often but mine are cheap and don't like anything below the A string if there is any bass present at all.

One day I would like to have a dedicated music room, but for now it has to be many things. Many, many, noisy things.

When I started using a Gramma pad in my little music room the number of complaints from other members of the household dropped considerably.

I didn't really notice much difference personally but it definitely seemed to help isolate the overall vibrations resonating around the rest of the house :)

If I can work out what the component parts of gramma pad are, and I know people have linked to them on here in the past, hint hint. Then I might have a crack at making my own. If it doesn't help at all at least I won't have wasted quite so much money, and you never know, I might have need for it in the future.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160399-do-it-myself-gramma-pad/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160399-do-it-myself-gramma-pad/[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159688-first-gig-last-night-with-my-auralex-gramma-pad/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159688-first-gig-last-night-with-my-auralex-gramma-pad/[/url]