Why become a member? ×

Steel strings nearly stopped me playing!

fred72

I know it's subjective and utterly down to personal pref. but thought it interesting... my recently purchased 2nd hand Sterling SB14 came with a new pack of Rotosound 66 stainless steel strings - being new to bass things I thought I'd give them a try and took off the old (what must have been nickel plate) originals. Felt stiffer, looked duller, nice thud to them, didn't think too much of it but over the period of a week started playing less and less.... my bass had become this unforgiving lump of wood and metal...

Popped into my local (project music, exeter) determined to pick up some nickel wounds (after reading some past threads here) - no experience with bass brands so thought ernie ball on an ernie ball a good bet - set of hybrid slinkys later and (to me) it's a different beast - it's become an instrument I can express myself on again - tone, feel - all back... The strings feel part of the instrument, as opposed to a bass strung with strings that I had to work on!

Anyone else had a similar experience? Do people immediately take to one over the other? Has anyone ever gone from years of playing nickel to SS? Any alternatives? I've seen some crazy looking coloured strings out there - are they just for show?

Yeah, it's cool how we're all on this exploration of creativity and all the little nuances, our gut feel and decisions we make allow us to constantly make little changes, develop our styles, tweak the feel to keep it real. Get on!

Good thought Mokl, I didn't have a clue what gauge was on there before, so went with shop's suggestion. I did however download the recommended neck relief and action settings from the EB website... all appeared to be within guidelines, but even with a decent metal rule my eyes are flippin terrible these days - when we're looking at 10ths of an inch or 1/2 mm I can never see the difference :-/

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1398707856' post='2436822']
I've gone from years of using steel roundwounds to now only wanting nickel rounds and I won't go back... however, when it comes to flats, steel is just fine (I've yet to see nickel flatwounds anyway).
[/quote]

Thomastiks are a nickel wrap with a steel core I think.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1398707856' post='2436822']
I've gone from years of using steel roundwounds to now only wanting nickel rounds and I won't go back... however, when it comes to flats, steel is just fine (I've yet to see nickel flatwounds anyway).
[/quote]
Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats and Pyramid Gold Flatwounds are both nickel.

I just put a set on Super Slinkys on my Jazz Bass at the weekend.
I've not used them for about 5 years but thought what the hell. I'm glad I did. The last two sets of Sunbeams I've bought didn't do it for me so it's Slinkys on that Bass from now on. Cheaper than the DR's too.
B)

I like Roto Nickel Rounds for the feel and sound, very warm and old-school, but my fingers far prefer Roto Steel Rounds. Must admit, in the band I`m in now I need the twanginess of those steels as well, so all good there.