Why become a member? ×

A change in band genre

JamesBass

if they have more than half down an album and now want to change the genre, my impression is they don't really know what they want.

in terms of the bass line comments, ska basslines can be as simple or as complex as they like, often times they are on or the other in the same band, but it comes down to the music... if it suits the music but the comment is their opinion, they are just being twats.

my advice in this case would be that they have their own view on things, and you will only ever be "the bass player".

ditch them mate, the more time wasted with them the less time you get with a project worth doing

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1398186925' post='2431393']
So if I were to go, other than join my band and the open mic nights, where else can I find other musos?!
[/quote]

I've had one or two good results with Starnow.
[url="http://www.starnow.co.uk/"]http://www.starnow.co.uk/[/url]

What sort of music do you want to play? I don't know everyone around the area but I can certainly put out feelers on your behalf.

The ska band sounds a disaster frankly. Don't see the guy from The Beat sticking to just root notes (while being pushed round on castors apparently) and two guitarists is an extravegance (as Lady Whiteadder would say). Only off beat damped chords anyway.

Its a hard one as the band seem to be pretty successful, at least bringing out two albums is a lot more successful than most bands. I would tread carefully as you don't want to chuck it and then see them on Jools Holland performing their latest ska hit, with no you playing your root notes. Then again , you don't want to be stuck with a pair of arseholes who put you down all the time. It seems strange for a band to completely change direction after one album. They run the risk of losing their fanbase. Only you will know if its time to say enough

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1398255626' post='2432086']
What sort of music do you want to play? I don't know everyone around the area but I can certainly put out feelers on your behalf.

The ska band sounds a disaster frankly. Don't see the guy from The Beat sticking to just root notes (while being pushed round on castors apparently) and two guitarists is an extravegance (as Lady Whiteadder would say). Only off beat damped chords anyway.
[/quote]
Honestly Steve, I'm flexible, be it Jazz, Blues, Rock, Punk, Singer-Songwriter backing band work or even Pop. Also don't mind now whether it's covers or originals!

Cheers mate, will send you a PM soon about having a meet up and seeing your P's!

If you're happy to play Ska (doesn't sound like it though) but don't want to play just root notes why not make a CD of Ska tunes where the basslines aren't just roots and play them to the guitards. What they may be missing is that Ska is bass led so you need to be playing more not less!!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1398255626' post='2432086']
...two guitarists is an extravagance...
[/quote]

Yes, and this makes me think that perhaps the idea is for one of the guitarists to play bass, yet they don't have the balls to just sack you outright, so they're making life difficult for you so you'll leave. Then they can say that you 'left' and carry on with their plan.

No proof of this obviously, it's just how my naturally-suspicious, paranoid mind works. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398263588' post='2432194']
Yes, and this makes me think that perhaps the idea is for one of the guitarists to play bass, yet they don't have the balls to just sack you outright, so they're making life difficult for you so you'll leave. Then they can say that you 'left' and carry on with their plan.

No proof of this obviously, it's just how my naturally-suspicious, paranoid mind works. ;)
[/quote]
It certainly has crossed my mind, seeing how the rhythm guitarist was the one to suggest the change and was playing bass before I joined the band! Think I've made my decision to be honest.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1398265158' post='2432225']
It certainly has crossed my mind, seeing how the rhythm guitarist was the one to suggest the change and was playing bass before I joined the band! Think I've made my decision to be honest.
[/quote]

Well if we both think it, it must be true! ;)

The situation is nothing but a pain in the arse I know - but I believe you've made the right decision. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398265339' post='2432231']
Well if we both think it, it must be true! ;)

The situation is nothing but a pain in the arse I know - but I believe you've made the right decision. :)
[/quote]
Great minds think alike! ;)

Yeah, just gotta chalk up yet another failed project! Nothing ever seems to stick where I'm concerned! Lots of "naff" Metalcore bands going round down this way currently and though I want to be in a band, I'm just not into that sort of music enough to do that genre!

Something will turn up sooner or later I guess!

Edited by JamesBass

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1398265571' post='2432235']
Something will turn up sooner or later I guess!
[/quote]

Get a basic profile up on Starnow and answer some ads for bass player wanted.
You can narrow down what you're looking for by filtering for area, etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398265912' post='2432242']
Get a basic profile up on Starnow and answer some ads for bass player wanted.
You can narrow down what you're looking for by filtering for area, etc.
[/quote]
Cheers will check it out!

Well it's official, after speaking with the guitarist about the direction of the band, it's become clear that our working relationship just isn't going to work. The singer had doubts over me working within the band, despite being the best bass player they've all come across, nice compliment but then I guess my character has been offended at the same time!

Oh well onwards and upwards!