Why become a member? ×

Twin Humbucker Bass - Recommendations?

discreet

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1399901090' post='2448752']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236619-peavey-t40-1980-white-with-original-hard-case/"]http://basschat.co.u...inal-hard-case/[/url]
[/quote]

Has already been suggested and rejected on the grounds that I'm shallow and don't like the look of 'em.
Thanks very much for the link, though. :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1399885740' post='2448518']
...my thinking was that you could get a white VM Jazz 5 and replace the Jazz pups with say Bart or EMG sized ones then you can experiment with different makes of humbuckers :)
[/quote]

OK Dave, I've pulled the trigger on a white VM Jazz 5. Now... where can I get those 5-string Jazz humbuckers??

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400095576' post='2450769']
OK Dave, I've pulled the trigger on a white VM Jazz 5. Now... where can I get those 5-string Jazz humbuckers??
[/quote]

Great :) I'd keep an eye out on Basschat for some secondhand humbuckers, I picked up a set of Delano soap bars not long ago for my Jazz 5 build, they are Bart sized so can be replaced if I don't like them.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400095576' post='2450769']

[/quote]

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/5-string-bass/ultra-jazz-5-pair

These might be of interest. No hacking required.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1400137314' post='2451016']
[url="http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/5-string-bass/ultra-jazz-5-pair"]http://www.dimarzio....tra-jazz-5-pair[/url] These might be of interest. No hacking required.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, but the blurb says because of the cover dimensions they are not direct replacements for a Fender Jazz V... of course the Squier V is technically not a Fender V, so I'm not sure where that leaves me... :)

Edit: And they cost half what the bass is costing me! They had better be good!

Edited by discreet

You could always try these Fodera basses, I'm sure their double humbucker would suffice... ;-)

I'm planning on ordering a couple when Ive worked enough overtime, maybe for my 249th birthday or something.

In all seriousness you can't go wrong with the G+L double HB setup. It's a beast of a bass with a vastly versatile pallet of noises.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400142870' post='2451065']

Thanks for the link, but the blurb says because of the cover dimensions they are not direct replacements for a Fender Jazz V... of course the Squier V is technically not a Fender V, so I'm not sure where that leaves me... :)

Edit: And they cost half what the bass is costing me! They had better be good!
[/quote]

Gah bleary early morning bus eyes. I just assumed they would be like for like! Still less work than routing for Soapbars though!

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1400145759' post='2451102']
Gah bleary early morning bus eyes. I just assumed they would be like for like! Still less work than routing for Soapbars though!
[/quote]

A case of measuring the stock pups when I get the bass, I suppose. Had a look at these twin-coil Barts, too...
[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/bartolini-57j1-5-string-vintage-jazz-bass-pickup-set"]http://www.musicians...bass-pickup-set[/url]

Though they may be too bright for an all-maple Jazz?

I'm going to stop looking now until I've heard the stock pups... you never know, they may be OK anyway.
I'm a great believer in the old adage, 'If it ain't broke, break it, bodge it up very badly then throw it from a moving car.'

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1400145272' post='2451096']
You could always try these Fodera basses, I'm sure their double humbucker would suffice...
[/quote]

This is really not sour grapes, but every time I hear a Fodera I think it sounds a bit lightweight...
but I've never played one, so what do I know? :)

Edit: Looked at the G&L, but going for a VM Jazz V and possibly playing about with the pups.
Or maybe not... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400146354' post='2451116']

This is really not sour grapes, but every time I hear a Fodera I think it sounds a bit lightweight...
but I've never played one, so what do I know.
[/quote]

Ha... I've never played one neither, so I genuinely don't know cuz I'm about £5,000 shy of the price tag.
Like I said though I'd need to live to about 250 before I could afford one. Bang for buck the G+L was a powerhouse, but a little thick in the neck in the tribute series. Good luck with finding your twin HB nirvana.

Stingray would be mine, I had a 25th anniversary SR5 with HSS setup and it looked lovely but sounded crap. The stock HH I hear is a total gem.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400146260' post='2451113']
A case of measuring the stock pups when I get the bass, I suppose. Had a look at these twin-coil Barts, too...
[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/bartolini-57j1-5-string-vintage-jazz-bass-pickup-set"]http://www.musicians...bass-pickup-set[/url]

Though they may be too bright for an all-maple Jazz?

[/quote]

I might have a set of those in the cupboard ;) I've certainly got a set of some sort of Bart 5 string Jazz pups you can try assuming they fit your Squier.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1400149710' post='2451168']
I might have a set of those in the cupboard ;)
I've certainly got a set of some sort of Bart 5 string Jazz pups you can try assuming they fit your Squier.
[/quote]

Ooh, thanks Dave. :) Maybe we could do a bit of measuring and compare notes?

...Oh come on people, you're better than that! :o [size=4]This is a serious bona-fide thread about humbuckers! :rolleyes:[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400331952' post='2452990']
The stock pups are both the same size (I think) and are approx. 100mm X 17mm not including the lugs.
What size are the Barts? :)
[/quote]

Just dug the Barts out and they are 57J1 L/S which means they are different lengths for the bridge and neck pups so they will not fit :(

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1400333834' post='2453013']
Just dug the Barts out and they are 57J1 L/S which means they are different lengths for the bridge and neck pups so they will not fit
[/quote]

Oh well, no worries! Thanks for the thought, though. :)
If I can't find some twin-coil 5-string Jazz pups I'll just stick with what's on there - they sound pretty good anyway.

I had one for a few weeks and thought it was fab especially for the money, I moved it on quickly because I only like 17mm string spacing on a 5er and the VMJ was too wide for me.

Have Fun :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1400339735' post='2453057']
Have Fun :)
[/quote]

Cheers, Dave. [size=4]I'm liking the extended low end, but find I'm just playing the bottom four strings, now - the G string isn't getting a look in - so I may as well have bought a 5-string set, binned the G and tuned my 4-string B-E-A-D. D'oh. I'll give it a chance though - this is my first 5-banger and I'm enjoying the novelty at the moment. I wouldn't want any tighter string spacing at the bridge - it's just about right for my banana fingers. :)[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400342744' post='2453090']
[size=4] so I may as well have bought a 5-string set, binned the G and tuned my 4-string B-E-A-D. [/size]
[/quote]

A route I've thought about taking.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1400333834' post='2453013']
...they are 57J1 L/S which means they are different lengths for the bridge and neck pups so they will not fit :(
[/quote]

Er... I just measured the pups a little more accurately and in fact the neck pup is 99mm and the bridge pup 104mm (approx). Doh! :blush:[size=4] [/size][size=4]The routing would allow a mm or two leeway all round. [/size][size=4]This just goes to prove that you should never measure anything when you've got a hangover...[/size]

Not sure if the VMJ V is similar to the US Standard Jazz V, for which the 57J1 L/S are apparently a direct replacement.
AFAIK the Barts are twin-coil too, which of course makes them humbuckers...

Edited by discreet